Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 06:43:56 PM
Speaking of which Pillars of Eternity is #1 on both GoG and Steam. Almost want to be "sick" tomorrow.

I can help you here!  You can say you were attacked in your home by a madman who broke your knees!  It'll even be true!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2015, 06:48:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 06:43:56 PM
Speaking of which Pillars of Eternity is #1 on both GoG and Steam. Almost want to be "sick" tomorrow.

I can help you here!  You can say you were attacked in your home by a madman who broke your knees!  It'll even be true!

While I appreciate your kind offer I think I will just go to work :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Just like Ide.  He wanted to light himself on fire (for political purposes or something), and when I offered to help him and used as my qualifications that I had already considered lighting him on fire in the recent past and had worked out plans to do so, he suddenly declined.  I offer the milk of human kindness only to see my hand batted away. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I've got a five hour train ride tomorrow. I hope I can play it then.

Syt

Started playing. I think I spent half an hour in character creation before settling for something rather vanilla. :blush: The game looks and feels very much like a souped up version of Baldur's Gate so far. So if you liked the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale) and were looking for something new this might well have you covered.

PC Gamer has given it 92%.

And RPS says:

QuoteThis is the RPG I've been craving since Planescape: Torment, the first to win my absolute love since Dragon Age: Origin. It's a vast, deep and wonderfully written game, malleable to how you want to approach the genre, replete with companions, side-quests, an enormously involved combat system, and lasts a solid 60 hours. Here's wot I think:

Let's be clear about how this review's going to go. If you want to go in completely blank, as I did, then stop reading at the end of this paragraph. Because all you need to know is in the introduction above. Let me summarise: "Should I buy Pillars Of Eternity?" Yes. There, good, job done. If you want to know why it's good, then read on, but it's crucial to accept that to do so, I'll have to allude to aspects of the game that aren't revealed in the first half hour. But trust me, I'm good at my job, and I won't actually spoil anything. I'm barely going to mention the plot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I guess I should go in and get the copy that I backed. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Loving it, but probably going to reroll my character now that I'm getting a grasp of the mechanics.

I like those "text cutscenes", they feel very pen-and-paper-y.

Pedrito

Oh, the four-wedged cursor. :wub:

I've started a game with a human chanter (the class that seems more different from the usual, and more interesting too, even if I didn't study the mechanics in deep).

Looks promising  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

I ended up playing a human fighter (a mercenary from the pirates isles), i.e. my default.  :blush:

But I was looking at the other races and classes, got confused and thought, "Maybe when I know more of how they fit into the world."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I'm playing a fanatic do-gooder paladin; I like to actually roleplay characters in RPGs, and the personality system in this one lends itself well to it.

I feel like I have probably botched character creation and leveling a bit, since I'm not familiar with the system, but so far the game hasn't punished me.

Legbiter

I'll be playing a dual wielding aumaua barb for my first playthrough.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

Played three hours or so and enjoyed it. Wayfarer Paladin

Pedrito

Having played a bit more, some thoughts:

- [spoiler]the wilderness areas have a distinct BG1 feel, with the alternating rainy/sunny weather, the gibberlings or how they're called in this game, brooks and meadows and sparse trees. There are the butterflies, too, it only lacks some pretty bright flowers  :D [/spoiler]
- I forgot I have to keep at least two different save slots, probably five to six could be a more sensible option  :glare:
- I'm a bit confused by the combat system: first of all, by the combat messages it seems my weapon is ineffective against some enemies, but in truth it is a standard sword, itworks well and dispatches enemies without problems (enemies encountered until now are: bandits, animals, etc); someone can explain the reason?
- then, I find the endurance/health system a bit cumbersome: why a double scale, if the damage is taken on both scales?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: