Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 05:39:21 PM
Different type of game.

Still a game, still allowed to play it however the hell you want when it's just you against the computer.  Once other people are involved there are issues of cheating, but that isn't an issue in either case here.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on June 17, 2015, 04:06:29 PM
Different type of game.

Still a game, still allowed to play it however the hell you want when it's just you against the computer.  Once other people are involved there are issues of cheating, but that isn't an issue in either case here.

Agreed. I have my opinion he has his. It was Tim who demanded we all approve of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on June 17, 2015, 04:06:29 PM
Different type of game.

I think the difference is that if you die in Crusader Kings it's just a setback.  You automatically play are your heir.  If you die in most other games, the game simply ends.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
Finished it. Took me about 80 hours. Ending was a little too Euphoric Fedora IMO, but nontheless Obsidian have me by the balls now.

Yeah, I didn't care for the ending.  Get's really preachy.  The atheist position is essentially materialist which doesn't make much sense in a world of souls and wizards.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

celedhring

I just didn't get how the ending fit with the rest of the narrative; it felt a bit like that they had this grand twist idea and they tacked it on.
[spoiler]
How does Thaos' grand plan of empowering Woedica help him in his mission of supressing the truth about the gods? I just can't see it. [/spoiler]

Loved the game, mind.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on July 14, 2015, 02:02:53 AM
I just didn't get how the ending fit with the rest of the narrative; it felt a bit like that they had this grand twist idea and they tacked it on.
[spoiler]
How does Thaos' grand plan of empowering Woedica help him in his mission of supressing the truth about the gods? I just can't see it. [/spoiler]

Loved the game, mind.

[spoiler]
I'm not certain.  I also didn't exactly see why he was wasting time with stopping animancy (since he seemed be using it and the Gods were okay with it), other then Religion hates "science". The big twist that the that the ghost chick keeps repeating isn't actually true.  She keeps saying the God's aren't real.  That's not true, I just talked to a bunch of them.  The whole reason I was down in that dungeon was to stop a Goddess.  If the Gods were simply created by the Engwithans, well so what?  Why make that a big secret?  The Gods are real now, so what does it matter now, they can still send lighting to strike you if you piss them off.[/spoiler]

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Looks like it might be on sale also.  I guess y'all would agree it is worth picking up?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 25, 2015, 03:50:41 PM
Looks like it might be on sale also.  I guess y'all would agree it is worth picking up?

Well I would.

Pedrito

Quote from: Caliga on August 25, 2015, 03:50:41 PM
Yes, it's a very good game.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Caliga

It's like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment and that stuff right?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 25, 2015, 07:16:36 PM

To a fault.  They even go so far as to imitate the cumbersome AD&D rules that the those games used.  For instance, fire-and-forget spells.  Still, if you ever wandered what it would be like to go back to 1998, the game is for you.

Pedrito

Raz is right.
Sometimes the system seems a bit cumbersome for the love of being cumbersome. The combat mechanics are rather complex, and could be more streamlined.
My major grip with the game is that, to make all the classes playable, the designers ironed out all the quirks that make a class interesting to play, so they lack characterization
But all in all it's a very good game, with a great story.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2015, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 25, 2015, 07:16:36 PM

To a fault.  They even go so far as to imitate the cumbersome AD&D rules that the those games used.  For instance, fire-and-forget spells.  Still, if you ever wandered what it would be like to go back to 1998, the game is for you.

Now now they are entirely new cumbersome rules and this game far more resembles games from 2002 than 1998.