Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Almost 5 hours in and I haven't left the first village yet. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Pedrito on March 27, 2015, 06:43:16 PM
Having played a bit more, some thoughts:

- [spoiler]the wilderness areas have a distinct BG1 feel, with the alternating rainy/sunny weather, the gibberlings or how they're called in this game, brooks and meadows and sparse trees. There are the butterflies, too, it only lacks some pretty bright flowers  :D [/spoiler]
- I forgot I have to keep at least two different save slots, probably five to six could be a more sensible option  :glare:
- I'm a bit confused by the combat system: first of all, by the combat messages it seems my weapon is ineffective against some enemies, but in truth it is a standard sword, itworks well and dispatches enemies without problems (enemies encountered until now are: bandits, animals, etc); someone can explain the reason?
- then, I find the endurance/health system a bit cumbersome: why a double scale, if the damage is taken on both scales?

L.

I was a bit confused by the "your weapon is ineffective" messages during combat. I believe they trigger if the enemy's DR eats most of your damage. This may be because the weapon is indeed no too effective against the enemy (certain enemies have different DRs against certain damage types), or just because you had a poor damage roll or a glancing hit.

I was also confused by the endurance/health duality. I think they use health (which can't be recovered unless you rest) as a way to limit the power of healing during encounters. You can't keep healing your tank forever, since ultimately she will run out of health.

I still don't understand fatigue and how it is triggered, though.

Loving the game so far, mind, it's just so well written. It's just taking a bit to get used to the new rules.

Zanza

Looks like the attributes aren't really intuitive and it makes sense to max intelligence on barbarians for example...

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on March 28, 2015, 10:29:39 AM
Looks like the attributes aren't really intuitive and it makes sense to max intelligence on barbarians for example...

Yes my barb has 18 Intellect. It's great and I just grumblered the tutorial baddy with nitpickery long enough for the rogue to break free.  :lol:

Of course then in true BG fashion I encountered a bear which ate my face off.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Same bear ate my face, but I went back there a level later and with a larger group, and I exacted my vengeance  :menace:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

I don't really understand why during the course of a conversation a character will have only certain lines with voice acting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2015, 05:04:23 PM
I don't really understand why during the course of a conversation a character will have only certain lines with voice acting.

I assume they wrote/rewrote the unvoiced lines after recording with the actors.

garbon

I wish they fucking hadn't given how often it happens. Maybe even better to just have the voice acting off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Well it was that with the original Baldur's gate type games, but I thought that was due to storage considerations.  That's not really a factor anymore, though budgetary reasons may still exist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
So, what's the Languish grade for this?

I am enjoying it.  Just like the old Baldur's Gate games with updated graphics and a new story.  Great if you like RPG party tactics.  I love The Elder Scrolls series, but that's more like single person hack and slash.  Dragon Age has isometric viewpoint party combat but is less sophisticated.  I felt like positioning is not important and everything always boils down to gang up on one, then the next one.  In this game you actually want tanks in front and that works. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2015, 08:19:05 PM
So you paid full price.  Poor, Poor Mono.

I avoided the risk of the game not being made, so I have no regrets.  It is official Mono policy never to back any crowd-funded projcets, so it isn't like there is any choice in the matter  :P

Razgovory

You have no choice in being poor mono?  I think I agree with that.