Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Thankfully, my religious convictions require using a saint's name.  So we've got the boys picked out.  But girls is more difficult.  Female saints have a very limited naming palette.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 05:42:09 PM
Thankfully, my religious convictions require using a saint's name.  So we've got the boys picked out.  But girls is more difficult.  Female saints have a very limited naming palette.

It wasn't a religious necessity, but I do like that the boys have Bible names. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 15, 2012, 04:08:41 PM

The Kinks are really ultra-British from an American standpoint; no good entry point like the Who.
:huh: Why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 03:01:59 PM
Apparently no-one in America is.  NBC cut Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset from the closing ceremony <_<

The Kinks are really ultra-British from an American standpoint; no good entry point like the Who.

I don't know;  they invented the power cord.  That's not exactly esoteric.  And a lot of their early-to-mid 80s stuff was more popular here than back in the UK. 

OTOH, something like "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"--yeah, that sounds really British.

Quote from: Barrister
By the way I despise the trend of taking last names and making it into a first name.

My grandfather had a brother with the first name "Smith".  I've never heard of anybody else with that as a first name.

Scipio

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2012, 05:51:29 PM
Apparently no-one in America is.  NBC cut Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset from the closing ceremony <_<

I don't know;  they invented the power cord.  That's not exactly esoteric.  And a lot of their early-to-mid 80s stuff was more popular here than back in the UK. 

OTOH, something like "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"--yeah, that sounds really British.

By the way I despise the trend of taking last names and making it into a first name.

My grandfather had a brother with the first name "Smith".  I've never heard of anybody else with that as a first name.

A buddy of mine in grade school was named Smith.  Good guy.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

chipwich

Mart-do you understand that there was a president named Grover? Also that the entire world is not Poland and therefore does not use naming conventions you might be familiar with?

Scipio

Quote from: chipwich on August 15, 2012, 06:32:33 PM
Mart-do you understand that there was a president named Grover? Also that the entire world is not Poland and therefore does not use naming conventions you might be familiar with?
He lives in a country, like Wales, which is bereft of vowels. 
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 06:23:32 PM

A buddy of mine in grade school was named Smith.  Good guy.

You went to school with dps's great-uncle?  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2012, 01:55:27 PM
These fashions are weird. For example I was born during an "ordinary names" trend, when people would name their kids normal names like Marcin (Martin), Piotr (Peter) or Andrzej (Andrew) - there were several of each in my class.

Then came the fashion for weird (from a Polish perspective) names inspired by tv shows and Western culture - so we had Olivias and Olivers, Blakes and the like.

Now there seems to be a fashion for old fashioned Polish named such as Stanislas or Wladyslaw.
I have a co-worker named Wojciech. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I think it was popular in the early 20th century to give children a common last name as a first name.  You read a lot of names like that in the 1920's and 1910's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 08:07:08 PM
I don't associate with polacks.
Every Polack-American I've ever known has been pretty cool.

Actually, every one of them except for Martha Labinoski that is, or as I called her Martha Blab-a-lot-ski  :yuk:

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2012, 08:27:27 PM
I think it was popular in the early 20th century to give children a common last name as a first name.  You read a lot of names like that in the 1920's and 1910's.
Princesca's great grandfather was named Shade Wilder. :cool: