Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I don't have a middle name since my parents are lazy. :(

Then again, I used to have a friend with a most outlandship middle name. He cut his intenstine out with a pair of scissors in a drug-induced delirium.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Part of me wanted to use the name Gord, and of course call him Gordie.  My dad's older brother was Gordie.

But who the hell names their kid Gord these days? :(

It would work, but only if he was called Gordo for short.  Anybody named after an astronaut can't go wrong.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2012, 02:56:48 PM
Part of me wanted to use the name Gord, and of course call him Gordie.  My dad's older brother was Gordie.

It would work, but only if he was called Gordo for short.  Anybody named after an astronaut can't go wrong.

:lol:

That's my nephew's nickname. It means "chubby" or "fatso" in Spanish, and though he's now a tall, thin young man, as a baby he was fat as hell!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

Then again, I used to have a friend with a most outlandship middle name. He cut his intenstine out with a pair of scissors in a drug-induced delirium.

"He cut his intestine out with a pair of scissors in a drug-induced delirium" sounds Native American, not Polish.

;)

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2012, 02:56:48 PM

Bah.  Gordie is the name of one of the finest Canadians of all time.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Much as I'd like to mock BB and Canada right now, I ain't gonna say nothing bad about Gordie Howe.

I suppose I could say something about how it's sad that there aren't any Canadian heroes outside of ice hockey, but I know too much about WWI and WWII to really mean it (even if there are few Canadians who are well-known for their heroism in the World Wars, there certainly were many Canadian who served heroically).

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 03:32:25 PM
Much as I'd like to mock BB and Canada right now, I ain't gonna say nothing bad about Gordie Howe.

Smart man.  Even in his 80s I bet Gordie Howe could kick both of our asses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Cute chick at Chick-fil-A had "Miller" as a first name today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 16, 2012, 04:00:25 PM

The "Miller Time" joke literally writes itself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 16, 2012, 04:15:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 16, 2012, 04:00:25 PM

The "Miller Time" joke literally writes itself.

I was thinking that her parents either really liked the beer or the TV show. Still not as bad as Timberly though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

One of my middle names is Adam and I'd really have liked to have had that as my first name, but I'm guessing it's a relative rare christian name.

Because earlier I was having a go at some genealogy, perhaps my first serious go, and looking at the census/births/deaths/marriage records it appears throughout the mid to late 19th century there were only ever about 6 or 7 Adam Carter* in the whole of England and Wales during that period, which is very surprising, to the point I thought there must be errors in the database.

* Adam Carter being my great-grandfather who was born in 1842, so it appears that part of my family seem to father rather late in life, ie he fathered my grandfather at the age of 53 !   So there 'hope' for me yet.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

Make one up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2012, 05:01:35 PM
One of my middle names is Adam and I'd really have liked to have had that as my first name, but I'm guessing it's a relative rare christian name.

I knew a couple of Adams in school.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Grumbler knew an Adam.  He thought he was a good young man.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.