Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 16, 2012, 01:37:38 PM
How does "Leon" strike everybody?  It was my grandfather's name, might be nice to reuse it on a son someday.  And what about "Eugene"?  Too old-fashioned?

I think I'd like to go with "Pauline" for a girl.

Leon was my maternal grandfather's name, and at least since then there's been one in every generation (my uncle and my younger cousin), although none of them use it in full (my uncle is known as Leo and my cousin has it as his middle name. I rather like it, it sounds strong in Spanish.

And I'm meeting a very beautiful girl called Paulina in a while, so that'll always sound great to me.  :lol:

Caliga

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on August 16, 2012, 04:58:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 01:30:45 AM
That is a pretty fucking cool name.
Shade was a pretty fucking cool guy.  One day he was at a bar and, as a prank, another guy stole his car keys.  Shade pulled out his gun and shot the guy.  Unfortunately for Shade, the other dude was carrying too, and he managed to return fire.  Both men died.  This happened on Halloween night, 1932.

Sounds like a fucking moron. too bad he passed on his genetics before his death.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on August 17, 2012, 06:43:13 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 16, 2012, 01:37:38 PM
How does "Leon" strike everybody?  It was my grandfather's name, might be nice to reuse it on a son someday.  And what about "Eugene"?  Too old-fashioned?

I think I'd like to go with "Pauline" for a girl.

Leon was my maternal grandfather's name, and at least since then there's been one in every generation (my uncle and my younger cousin), although none of them use it in full (my uncle is known as Leo and my cousin has it as his middle name. I rather like it, it sounds strong in Spanish.

And I'm meeting a very beautiful girl called Paulina in a while, so that'll always sound great to me.  :lol:

I am 4th generation with Lionel/Leonal  as first or middle name.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
Sounds like a fucking moron. too bad he passed on his genetics before his death.
He was a drunkard, not a moron. :mad:

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on August 18, 2012, 01:41:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:04:02 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 17, 2012, 12:38:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 12:36:09 AM
Try being Ukrainian.

Pass.

Your loss.  Pyrogies. :mmm:

Aren't those Polish?

Remember, when you're talking about Ukrainian-Canadians (or Polish-Canadian) they mostly came over 100+ years ago.  The whole distinction between what was Polish and Ukrainian was fuzzy back in the day in those regions of Galicia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 16, 2012, 09:44:13 PM
That's not new either.  Princesca's grandfather's legal first name is Harry, and she had a great uncle legally named Dave.  I had a great-great-great-uncle legally named Harry as well (born c. 1870).

Maybe that's a Kentucky thing.  My wife's friend's husband's legal name is Dave and he's a born & bred Kentuckian.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 16, 2012, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2012, 05:01:35 PM
Because earlier I was having a go at some genealogy, perhaps my first serious go, and looking at the census/births/deaths/marriage records it appears throughout the mid to late 19th century there were only ever about 6 or 7 Adam Carter* in the whole of England and Wales during that period, which is very surprising, to the point I thought there must be errors in the database.

I dug a bit into my dad's line a little while ago. That was a complete waste of time. He's Welsh, and apparently the Welsh have only six names that they use before they get lost. My great-grandfather's name was Meredith Williams. In the tiny town that he lived in (pop. ~ 500), there were something like 20 other Meredith Williams'. His father's name was James, and his mother's name was Mary Katherine, but she went by Elizabeth. (WTF??) There were at least three other couples named James & Mary Katherine Williams, and another several James & Elizabeth Williams. Talk about a nightmare trying to find which one is the progenitor of our line. :wacko:

When my wife's grandfather immigrated to Canada from Wales his last name was Pritchard-Williams.  When he landed in Canada the immigration officer told him it was too long and so assigned the last name of Williams to him.  Each of his sons then carried the Pritchard name as a middle name and one of our sons has it as a middle name as well.

@Cal, my maternal grandfather's name was Harry.