Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 03:40:51 AM
Very selectively though. You won't hear a mother calling for her Percy, Stanley, Ethel, Myrtle, Martha, Roy, Victor, Bertha or Hattie in the playground.

My aunts and uncles born in the 20s to 40s were called Queenie, Emmie, Minnie, Rose, Victor, Lilian, Joyce, George, John, Peggy and Brenda, you don't see any of them much either.
True enough.  In my family - sort of grandparents generation - I had three Kittys (two Kathleens and a Catherine), a couple of Cathys, a Sylvia, a Jackie and a Norma.  Those names haven't come back into fashion, if they ever were in fashion.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

How does "Leon" strike everybody?  It was my grandfather's name, might be nice to reuse it on a son someday.  And what about "Eugene"?  Too old-fashioned?

I think I'd like to go with "Pauline" for a girl.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

HVC

Whne i hear Leon i think wise old black guy. Eugene makes me think Eugene Levy. Pauline makes me think post op tranny :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Part of me wanted to use the name Gord, and of course call him Gordie.  My dad's older brother was Gordie.

But who the hell names their kid Gord these days? :(

Just think - some day in the future everyone will think names like Madison, Mackenzie, Jackson and Liam as being old people names, te same way we think of Ethel or Leon...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 04:58:35 PM
That's another Scots thing. It's quite common for first name's to be mother's maiden names.

Is it?  Ah got it that explains alot.

Though I think putting Maiden names in names is pretty common for the English as well yes?

Boys names typically stay more constant (well more constant than Girls) but Girls names are absurdly trendy.  You can pretty easily assume a woman named 'Donna' is a Boomer for example.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 08:33:21 AM
John is an uncommon name in England?
Yes, it has gone from the most popular name in the UK - it's my Dad's name - to 94th male name. I don't know a single child called John.
http://www.babynames.co.uk/popular-baby-names#name1=John

That is an unspeakably awful tragedy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Part of me wanted to use the name Gord, and of course call him Gordie.  My dad's older brother was Gordie.

But who the hell names their kid Gord these days? :(

Just think - some day in the future everyone will think names like Madison, Mackenzie, Jackson and Liam as being old people names, te same way we think of Ethel or Leon...

Gordon isn't a bad name, though. I've recently heard a kid called that around here. He must have been around 3 or 4 and running around the office mall I work at. Mom started out with "Gordie" then quickly progressed to "Gordon David!"  :D

I was thinking of that the other day, actually. It'll be strange to hear my grandkids say things like, "Mary is so old fashioned!" when it was the most popular name the year that I was born. So much so that most of the Marys and Marias that I went to school with went by their middle names instead. Of course, that may just be a Catholic thing. Dunno.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Maybe by the time your Grandkids come along it will be a popular name again  :P

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 02:05:33 AM
Our most Siegesque of Presidents.

Do not talk badly of our nations greatest President :angry:

Besides 21 would be too old and fat for Siege.

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 16, 2012, 01:37:38 PM
How does "Leon" strike everybody?  It was my grandfather's name, might be nice to reuse it on a son someday.  And what about "Eugene"?  Too old-fashioned?

When I hear "Leon", I think of The Professional;  for "Eugene", I think of The Order of the Stick. 

Don't have any particular reaction at all to "Pauline".  Well, on reflection, either The Perils of Pauline or "Jethrine", but I actually had to think on it for a while.  The reactions to the boys' names came while I was still reading your post.

derspiess

My grandpa's middle name was Leon.  Can't figure out how that name got used in rural southwest Ohio.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 02:02:37 PM
When I hear "Leon", I think of The Professional;  for "Eugene", I think of The Order of the Stick. 

Don't have any particular reaction at all to "Pauline".  Well, on reflection, either The Perils of Pauline or "Jethrine", but I actually had to think on it for a while.  The reactions to the boys' names came while I was still reading your post.

We had a couple old ladies at my church named Pauline, so that's what comes to mind for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

My uncle and cousin were named Eugene, and both went by Gene. To me, Eugene and Leon are both old men names, and there's not really any way to soften them. Pauline is an old ladies' name to me, too, now that I think on it.

But I'm going to offer you the advice I offer everyone who's considering what to name their child: If you like a name, use it. Don't tell anyone what you're thinking until after you've signed the birth certificate and sent it on the way. Everyone has an opinion, but in the end, the parents are the only ones whose opinions should matter at all.

Vetting it out to people is just asking for every horrible story ever told about why that particular name is no good. "I went to school with this kid named Leon who ate his bugers and played with himself during naptime. I wouldn't EVER name my kid that!"  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Middle names is a whole other story.  I have a last name for a middle name.  Growing up with mostly Italian-American friends, they all had first names for middle names, so I always felt a little weird about it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)