Shooting death of handcuffed man in patrol car ruled a suicide

Started by jimmy olsen, August 20, 2012, 06:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Yeah... I'm skeptical. :yeahright:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/20/13377849-shooting-death-of-handcuffed-man-in-patrol-car-ruled-a-suicide?lite
QuoteShooting death of handcuffed man in patrol car ruled a suicide
By Louis Casiano, NBC News

A man's death from a gunshot wound to the head while his hands were handcuffed behind him in an Arkansas police patrol car has been ruled a suicide, The Associated Press reported on Monday.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

The AP said the state crime lab report said 21-year-old Chavis Carter shot himself in the right temple of his head with a gun he had hidden. The report was based on autopsy findings and an investigation by the Jonesboro, Ark., Police Department.

Carter's death has prompted skepticism about the police version of events. His father, Charles Douglas, told theGrio that he does not believe that his son's death was a suicide.

"I don't believe he committed suicide. Until we get justice, we're not going to get peace. He's not resting in peace; this won't be over until he is."

Forensic expert calls suicide 'possible,' 'very unlikely'

Dr. Michael Baden, a former chief medical examiner for the City of New York and expert witness during the O.J. Simpson trial, told theGrio that if the gun used to kill Carter was positioned as it was in the police re-enactment video, there's a slight possibility Carter could have gotten enough leverage to shoot himself.

"It would be possible, I think, but it's still very unlikely that that would happen," he said.

According to the police video, Carter was hunched over and reached behind his back for the gun and fired, causing the bullet to hit the right side of his head.

Carter and two friends were riding in a truck in Jonesboro on the night of July 28 when they were pulled over. Police said they received reports a of truck matching the description of the vehicle driving up and the down the street with its lights turned off.

During a search of the trio and the vehicle, police found marijuana plastic baggies and a set of scales. After running a check on his name, police learned Carter had a warrant for his arrest in Mississippi for marijuana possession.

He was handcuffed after a second search and placed in the back of the squad car while the officers conducted another search of the truck. Shortly thereafter the officers involved said they heard a gunshot and discovered that Carter had shot himself in the head.

Officers found Carter in the back seat slumped over and covered in blood. The other two riders were allowed to go.

Suspicion over the official account has continued to grow in the city's African-American community.

Police video from the night of the incident provided few answers, as it did not show the shooting.

Prior to the video's release, police released a video reconstruction meant to show how Carter could have shot himself with his hands restrained behind his back.

"We just wanted to get a good perspective on how it could be done and the ease with which it could be done," said Jonesboro Police Chief Michael Yates.

Yates originally called the shooting "bizarre" and said that the officers' version of events defied logic. But he later said the scenario was "very possible."

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

One of the officers reported discovering a small-caliber handgun in the spot where Carter died. The gun was not found during the two previous instances Carter was searched.

Baden, the former New York City medical examiner, said the officers bear some culpability in the incident no matter what.

"If he dies in their custody they're responsible," he said. "At the least, we're talking about very sloppy police work — not finding a gun that he could have used to shoot one of the officers. And it's indicative of poor training of the officers."

Yates has come under scrutiny for his department's lack of diversity, with only three out of 145 officers being African-American.

Carter family attorney Benjamin Irwin told the AP he and the family are reviewing the report and will release a statement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2012, 06:39:48 PM
Yeah... I'm skeptical. :yeahright:

That's because you're a dumb ass.  Wish you'd shoot yourself without handcuffs.

DGuller

Talk about a bizarre case.  No theory makes sense.  If police officers pre-meditated the murder (why?), you'd think they would come up with something that looks better than a handcuffed man being shot in the head.  If they executed him in the heat of the moment, they probably wouldn't use a gun not issued to them.  On the other hand, why would a guy busted for pot go to great lengths to shoot himself?  Did he accidentally mix up his head and the cop's head?

CountDeMoney

I've seen plenty of guys get cuffed with weapons on them, either because they weren't frisked properly or not at all.  That's why I never took somebody else's word on it when they told me they were already searched, and did it myself again.

And I've known of guys that shot themselves right after getting pulled over for a traffic violation, before the cop has even gotten out of his car.  Cop didn't know the guy had a warrant for child support.

It has happened many, many times and the only person that can answer why is the guy with his head all over his dashboard.  It happens more than one would think.

DGuller

I bet those kids feel really special, with their dead choosing death over supporting them.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 07:22:57 PM
I bet those kids feel really special, with their dead choosing death over supporting them.
An unfortunate typo.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 07:03:21 PM
On the other hand, why would a guy busted for pot go to great lengths to shoot himself?

Seems pretty sensible to me.  After all, we're talking about the prospect, if not the certainty, of years in a cage, and an uncertain and chaotic existence when and if he got out.  "Fuck it" is a reasonable response to such circumstances.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2012, 08:44:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 07:03:21 PM
On the other hand, why would a guy busted for pot go to great lengths to shoot himself?

Seems pretty sensible to me.  After all, we're talking about the prospect, if not the certainty, of years in a cage, and an uncertain and chaotic existence when and if he got out.  "Fuck it" is a reasonable response to such circumstances.

"Fuck you guys, I'm going to learn to be a lawyer then teach English in East Asia" is also a reasonable response.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Nah, I think you'd have to be pretty irrational to do that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on August 20, 2012, 11:38:51 PM
Legalize marijuana.

Why would we do something like that?  Marijuana being illegal just killed some idiot who drives up and down streets with his head lights out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Couldn't this just be an accident?

Kid gets stuck in patrol car, decides he needs to somehow try to get this gun out of his pants, and in the process of struggling to get it free with cuffs on, he fires it killing himself.

Sure, not a very likely occurrence, but we are well into the realm of unlikely occurrences once he is shot by his own gun while cuffed in the back of a PC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned