Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Happens in Germany, too. There's a website collecting especially nice or stupid examples:
http://chantalismus.tumblr.com/

(Like kid being having as first names "Anakin Lucas". :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 01:50:59 PM
Old fashioned names are back in fashion in Britain too, lots of Alfies, Harrys, Rosies and Florences.
Very selectively though. You won't hear a mother calling for her Percy, Stanley, Ethel, Myrtle, Martha, Roy, Victor, Bertha or Hattie in the playground.

My aunts and uncles born in the 20s to 40s were called Queenie, Emmie, Minnie, Rose, Victor, Lilian, Joyce, George, John, Peggy and Brenda, you don't see any of them much either.

But then again I'm named after a friend of my parents who in turn was named after a queen of Egypt, so who am I to argue against strange names? It's also in the New Testament, so would that pass the Apostle test?

Here's a nice BBC article on the phenomenon, "In search of a baby called Derek".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19247787

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 03:40:51 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 01:50:59 PM
Old fashioned names are back in fashion in Britain too, lots of Alfies, Harrys, Rosies and Florences.
Very selectively though. You won't hear a mother calling for her Percy, Stanley, Ethel, Myrtle, Martha, Roy, Victor, Bertha or Hattie in the playground.

My aunts and uncles born in the 20s to 40s were called Queenie, Emmie, Minnie, Rose, Victor, Lilian, Joyce, George, John, Peggy and Brenda, you don't see any of them much either.

But then again I'm named after a friend of my parents who in turn was named after a queen of Egypt, so who am I to argue against strange names? It's also in the New Testament, so would that pass the Apostle test?

Here's a nice BBC article on the phenomenon, "In search of a baby called Derek".

Derek seems still relatively popular in the states. Not that common, but not unusual either.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 03:59:11 AM
Derek seems still relatively popular in the states. Not that common, but not unusual either.
I have a friend my age called Derek, but you don't see names repeated in subsequent generations. Typical names in my year at school include Darren and Anneka (two of each in my class alone) but those names seem to have died out entirely.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 01:30:45 AM
That is a pretty fucking cool name.
Shade was a pretty fucking cool guy.  One day he was at a bar and, as a prank, another guy stole his car keys.  Shade pulled out his gun and shot the guy.  Unfortunately for Shade, the other dude was carrying too, and he managed to return fire.  Both men died.  This happened on Halloween night, 1932.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 16, 2012, 04:58:38 AM
Shade was a pretty fucking cool guy.  One day he was at a bar and, as a prank, another guy stole his car keys.  Shade pulled out his gun and shot the guy.  Unfortunately for Shade, the other dude was carrying too, and he managed to return fire.  Both men died.  This happened on Halloween night, 1932.

Oh, those whacky Prohibition-era hijinks.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 04:18:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 03:59:11 AM
I have a friend my age called Derek, but you don't see names repeated in subsequent generations. Typical names in my year at school include Darren and Anneka (two of each in my class alone) but those names seem to have died out entirely.

I know several Darrens around my age and I've heard of at least one current kid.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I never considered it but with the current batch of kids....yeah. Checking up it doesn't appear in the top 100.
I know one or two my age but no kids.

These things move in cycles apparently.
My parents gave me my name thinking it was super uncommon but cool...but low and behold it was actually a pretty popular name around the time I was born. There were 5 others in my year at school.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 03:40:51 AM

Tim's middle name is Derek.  Born in 2010.

Mind you middle names are where you bury the names you think you need to add, but don't like.  In this case named after his uncle (my wife's brother) who died of leukemia in his teens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Looks like it continues to experience decline year after year. See it at the 100 spot in 2011 and 94 in 2010.  Apparently not featured at all in American list.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 09:17:13 AM
Mind you middle names are where you bury the names you think you need to add, but don't like.  In this case named after his uncle (my wife's brother) who died of leukemia in his teens.

I'm not sure I'd give my child any name that I didn't like.

dps

Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2012, 08:04:53 PM
You don't see enough Bruce's any more.

I've never gotten to see The Boss live at all.  :(

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 08:33:21 AM
John is an uncommon name in England?
Yes, it has gone from the most popular name in the UK - it's my Dad's name - to 94th male name. I don't know a single child called John.
http://www.babynames.co.uk/popular-baby-names#name1=John

garbon

Hmm, well it said that it isn't in the top 100 here in the US either though I know many people in my generation with the name.  Generally don't associate with babies, so I've no idea there. :D