Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I'm lucky. My family's Irish in Britain and so we generally just churn out reliably Celtically named children :lol:

You see the same in Scotland acually with names like Euan, Alexander, Callum etc. being constantly popular, because they're Scottish. It means they avoid some of the weirder trends like this retro vogue, though I do quite like some of those names.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 01:58:20 PM
We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.

Not Kinks fans.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 01:50:59 PM
Still not as weird as Grover, Willard, Orrin and the rest of Palin's children :huh:

Palin's children's names are in the same class and deserve all the same opprobrium as a LeBron or Na Cola.

And Grover Norquist, Willard Scott(or Romney I guess?), and Orrin Hatch are all old men, so don't reflect current naming trends.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

I've always felt sorry for George Osborne who changed his name to George by deed poll when very young. His parent's named him Gideon, which is tough for any child (you can't even shorten it) but particularly when you're not even Jewish :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 02:00:41 PM
We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.

Not Kinks fans.

Apparently not. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2012, 02:00:58 PM
Palin's children's names are in the same class and deserve all the same opprobrium as a LeBron or Na Cola.

Disagree.  They're silly, but at least they are actual words.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 02:00:41 PM

Not Kinks fans.

Apparently not.
Apparently no-one in America is.  NBC cut Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset from the closing ceremony <_<

That was one of the few good bits too :(
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 03:01:59 PM
Apparently no-one in America is.  NBC cut Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset from the closing ceremony <_<

The only good thing I saw in the closing ceremony was Madness.  Wife's heart was aflutter when she saw Bowie.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 03:01:59 PM

The Kinks are really ultra-British from an American standpoint; no good entry point like the Who.

They didn't cut the Pet Shop Boys riding around in cone hats!   :bowler:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 15, 2012, 04:08:41 PM
They didn't cut the Pet Shop Boys riding around in cone hats!   :bowler:
:w00t: :wub:

My favourite moment of the opening ceremony was the bemused look on the Chinese delegations face as they walked out to West End Girls :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 02:56:18 PM
Disagree.  They're silly, but at least they are actual words.

Willow and Bristol are semi-ok. Track and Trig are :bleeding: worthy.

Piper was an established name so no points off for that one.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 01:50:59 PM
Old fashioned names are back in fashion in Britain too, lots of Alfies, Harrys, Rosies and Florences.

Still not as weird as Grover, Willard, Orrin and the rest of Palin's children :huh:

My best friend bravely named his son Henry. 

I sort of had to talk my wife into William Thomas (Tommy) for our son.  We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.

I don't know that "old fashioned" names are back in fashion per se.  There are a number of names that were old, but are coming back.  Think Oliver, Caleb, Ethan, Amelia, Abigail.  But plenty of other old names remain just as old and dead.  Nobody is getting named Hamish these days.

I insisted on fairly traditional names - names you wouldn't have to explain how to spell, but uncommon enough that they won't have anyone else in their class with that name.  So I have Timothy and Andrew. :)

By the way I despise the trend of taking last names and making it into a first name.  Mackenzie. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

That's another Scots thing. It's quite common for first name's to be mother's maiden names.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

My name is both weird and a common last name. BB must hate me :( :P

As an aside I favour a name registry like Germany (and a few other euro countries). If the names not on the list you can't use it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2012, 04:50:26 PM
  Nobody is getting named Hamish these days.

You have been living in uncivilized areas for far too long.

While not common, Hamish is definitely still being used.