Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, we laugh at various LeBrons and Daiquishas, but what's up with names of some white, right wing guys? I mean, Grover Norquist? What the hell is that? And Reince Priebus sounds like an anagram.

Why are these guys named in a such bizarre fashion?

Eddie Teach

Grover is a bit old-fashioned, but there's nothing wrong with that. Reince OTOH sounds retarded.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Grover is an old name.

Reince might be a nickname like Mitts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2012, 12:42:53 PM
Grover is a bit old-fashioned, but there's nothing wrong with that. Reince OTOH sounds retarded.

Well, to me it's no different than LeBron. I mean in Polish you could also name your son an old-fashioned "Bozydar" or "Msciwoj" but that's just retarded.

Eddie Teach

Using old names >>>>>>>>>>>>> making your own

Besides, Grover's not that out-dated. Sesame Street is less than 50 years old.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2012, 12:48:12 PM
Using old names >>>>>>>>>>>>> making your own

Besides, Grover's not that out-dated. Sesame Street is less than 50 years old.

Naming your child Big Bird would be equally retarded. :P

merithyn

Victorian names are back in style in the US, so expect a lot of names like Grover in the near future.

Reince, on the other hand, is... unique. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2012, 12:48:49 PM
Naming your child Big Bird would be equally retarded. :P

Sure, but what about Oscar, Bert or Ernie?

Barrister

Plugged the name Reince into some baby name sites - nothing.

His religion is listed as Greek Orthodox.  Perhaps it's some kind of oddball Armenian / Middle Eastern name.  Assyrian?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Our generation is terrible at naming our children. That's just how we are. It's not as bad as the terrible shit the baby boomers did to the world, but it's bad.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Old fashioned names are back in fashion in Britain too, lots of Alfies, Harrys, Rosies and Florences.

Still not as weird as Grover, Willard, Orrin and the rest of Palin's children :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2012, 12:58:50 PM

His religion is listed as Greek Orthodox.  Perhaps it's some kind of oddball Armenian / Middle Eastern name.  Assyrian?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/01/what_kind_of_a_name_is_reince.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

These fashions are weird. For example I was born during an "ordinary names" trend, when people would name their kids normal names like Marcin (Martin), Piotr (Peter) or Andrzej (Andrew) - there were several of each in my class.

Then came the fashion for weird (from a Polish perspective) names inspired by tv shows and Western culture - so we had Olivias and Olivers, Blakes and the like.

Now there seems to be a fashion for old fashioned Polish named such as Stanislas or Wladyslaw.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2012, 12:58:50 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/01/what_kind_of_a_name_is_reince.html

This sounds (and he looks) like something out of True Blood.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 01:50:59 PM
Old fashioned names are back in fashion in Britain too, lots of Alfies, Harrys, Rosies and Florences.

Still not as weird as Grover, Willard, Orrin and the rest of Palin's children :huh:

My best friend bravely named his son Henry. 

I sort of had to talk my wife into William Thomas (Tommy) for our son.  We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall