News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 09, 2015, 01:32:51 PM
You just want to see who's in it?  There's a map mode that shows that.
I guess... I also want to know what, if anything, I can do to break up the Coalition, other than maybe sitting around and being nice for a while and not conquering anyone. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Expanding into the Balkans is pretty worthless anyway. You should just never go over about 40 AE on any side of your expansion and you should be good. Just conquer Crimea, Persia, Georgia, Tunis or Ethiopia or so if the Balkans is currently too hot for you. Come back in 20 years with a vengeance.

Richard Hakluyt

There is now a free westernisation for the Ottomans if they occupy Vienna and core it though (also for a couple of less likely European cities), so it is pretty worthwhile even though the provinces and trade are meh.

ulmont

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 10, 2015, 09:58:50 AM
There is now a free westernisation for the Ottomans if they occupy Vienna and core it though (also for a couple of less likely European cities), so it is pretty worthwhile even though the provinces and trade are meh.

The Russians can also take that westernization, which includes Danzig (more likely for the Russians).

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 10, 2015, 09:58:50 AM

Heh Historically the Ottomans only tried to take Vienna twice. In MP games that number will be slightly higher.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Played as England and the Ottomans to test out how the new stuff works having not played this for about 8 months.   I really like what they have done and especially the exploration/colonization is now done and I really like the effect of Forts on combat.

One question, after an independent colony is created and you get the message that the rest of the colonial region is yours, can other nations only colonize there if they go to war with the colonizing nation - ie you? 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 12:34:00 PM
One question, after an independent colony is created and you get the message that the rest of the colonial region is yours, can other nations only colonize there if they go to war with the colonizing nation - ie you? 

I think that's the implementation of the Treaty of Tordesillas (haven't seen it myself as I prefer Protestant colonisers).

QuoteTreaty of Tordesillas
The first Catholic nation to create a colonial nation in a colonial region while having positive relations with the Papal States will be given a 'Papal Grant', which speeds up the growth of settlers for them by +10 in that colonial region and slows down the settler growth of all other Catholic nations there by -20.

A Catholic nation that violates a Papal Grant gets -50 relations with both the nation that has the grant and the Papal States. They also receive a -10 papal influence modifier for violating the treaty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Ah, thanks.

What is the advantage of using protestant colonizers?

Zanza

One of your church tenets can give you +15 settler growth. Not sure if there is anything else specifically protestant that has an influence on colonialization.

garbon

Oh I don't think there is anything specific about Protestant colonizers, I just like to play those nations more. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Only thing I didn't understand in the one game I played with the new ToT rules is that although I, portugal, was the first Catholic nation in South America, I found that in several other South American provinces, there was a colonization penatly for me. It would say something like " Spain has colonial rights on this province," or "holland has colonial rights on this province". I thought I would be the only one with that bonus.

In hindsight, it may not be a "colonization penalty" but rather it said that this would greatly disturb my relations with Spain or with Holland.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

You only get the pact with Pope per colonial region.

Eddie Teach

Ok, question- I'm playing as Italy(Milan) and declared war on Aragon. Naples gave me military access. I marched my men down to besiege Sicily but they're just sitting around, not taking the provinces and I've got that stranded armies message you always get after a war when your armies are on foreign ground. However, I'm still at war with Aragon. Is this a bug or is it something silly like I have to keep my ships in the strait at all times?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

They really need to fix how the rest of the world can keep up in tech. Though my Prussian navy is pretty strong, it is getting whooped by a minor state in India that also just managed to ship 39 troops over to attack my colony in South America. :huh:

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 03:21:14 PM
Ok, question- I'm playing as Italy(Milan) and declared war on Aragon. Naples gave me military access. I marched my men down to besiege Sicily but they're just sitting around, not taking the provinces and I've got that stranded armies message you always get after a war when your armies are on foreign ground. However, I'm still at war with Aragon. Is this a bug or is it something silly like I have to keep my ships in the strait at all times?  :hmm:

I've seen that before where my armies enter a province but don't lay seige. There is some weird shit I think, I can never figure it out, where you can't control enemy territory if you don't invade from one of your own or an ally territory.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011