News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I thought the new change was how you could foster other cultures, not just force your own culture. Isn't that less Nazi-esque than how the mechanic was originally? (Which even that is odd because it wasn't a genocide* or exiling mechanic, just a forcing of people to adopt your cultural customs).

*that would go to the kill natives mechanic
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Anyway, I'm interested in the new dip relations stuff (still wary about estates) but I'll wait until next year as I've only 2 weeks till I'll be away from my computer for 2 weeks. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2015, 07:11:01 AM
I thought the new change was how you could foster other cultures, not just force your own culture. Isn't that less Nazi-esque than how the mechanic was originally? (Which even that is odd because it wasn't a genocide* or exiling mechanic, just a forcing of people to adopt your cultural customs).

Yes, which is why I want it. I'd like to be able to colonize Siberia without having it scattered with Russian culture all over. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Great, had played 50 years as Denmark and enjoyed myself and the exploration of a new world that was actually immersive and fun only to find that no trade routes went north of Bordeaux. :glare:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

At least you get the extra merchants.

There are some bugs, I have had heirs who stay aged 0 for several years, leading to long regencies. In general though a good expansion.

Eddie Teach

Trying a WC with Ottomans. Need admin points desperately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Can't figure out how to deactivate various DLCs. the default has them activated. Is there a way to deactivate either/all of them? (this is with latest patch/DLC--it was easy before this, but that option window seems to be missing)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on December 04, 2015, 08:01:02 PM
Can't figure out how to deactivate various DLCs. the default has them activated. Is there a way to deactivate either/all of them? (this is with latest patch/DLC--it was easy before this, but that option window seems to be missing)

there's a tab on the launch screen where you can do that

Syt

I've got my new 500GB SSD and installed EU4 and CK2 on it. The difference in loading times is ridiculous. :lol:

(I already have an SSD, but it's a 128 GB one and it's pretty much will Win 7 alone).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Liep on December 02, 2015, 07:22:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2015, 07:11:01 AM

Yes, which is why I want it. I'd like to be able to colonize Siberia without having it scattered with Russian culture all over. :blush:
u suck
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Mini-AAR, no pics.

Playing Malacca. Starting Rivals- Pasai, Khmer and Ayutthaya. So Day 1, I ally with Siak to start isolating Pasai. (Pasai has the northern end of Sumatra, Siak is south of them and directly across strait from me). I start fabricating claims on Pasai. We pick up alliance with Kudah, they pick up Pattani(those are the two single province minors directly to my north). I build up my army and navy to force limits and wait.

About 5 years pass or so, Pasai declares war on Pagarryung(that Buddhist country on Sumatra nobody likes). After they've settled in, I declare on Pasai and get my alliance mates to join by promising 10 favors each(still never been called on these, not sure how that works). They keep Pattani's army out of my hair while I am conquering Pasai. Pasai annexes Pagarryung, but then offers the 4 provinces I've got claims on and freedom for Pagarryung in a peace deal, which I accept. Then I ally with Pagarryung. Would have done that earlier, but Siak rivaled them.

Wait 15 years for truce to wear off, building marketplaces and temples when worthwhile and fabricating claims on the rest of Pasai's provinces. Finish them off, meanwhile Ligore(which has broken its vassalage to Ayutthaya) eats up Pattani and then Khmer takes most of Ligore. I get Lan Xang to ally with me and then go to war with Khmer. I beat Khmer's navy in the Mekong Delta(Malacca gets an excellent admiral for free, btw) and send my armies up to take Khmer provinces. Meanwhile, the Khmer and their Dai Viet allies are sieging Lan Xang's cities. Lan Xang gets antsy and makes a separate peace, giving Khmer 2-3 provinces. Fortunately, their exit upped my war score sufficiently to get the Ligori provinces I wanted. This was 1471.

I got a mission to end Ligore, which was down to 1 province, so I declared war on them. Foolishly, Siak had also made an alliance with them.  :menace: Took half of Siak and the remaining Ligore province. It's now 1476. I'm allied to Lan Xang, Pagarryung and Keduh. Those later two both still think I'm too small to vassalize them.  <_< Still waiting on Admin 5, when I'll take the exploration idea group. And I've finally gotten 2 points on the board. (Ranked 8 in admin)  :showoff:

Josephus

Anyone playing with Cossacks? Any strategies? Are the estates worthwhile?

Playing a game as Russia (1500 start). Start with several provinces belonging to various estates (clergy, boyars, cossacks, burghers). I forget about them all time until an event pops up reminding me about them.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I've got an Ottoman campaign going and I like the estates system.  Hard to keep the Beys happy without letting them get too powerful.  I also really like the Threaten War mechanic. Used it to get Kaffa from Genoa and Konya from Karaman.  Just got done dismantling the White Sheep Turks and then the Sultan died, and his heir was an infant, who died two years later, so I'm in a long ass Regency period.  Oh well... I still get to have some fun stomping on Syrian and Iraqi rebels.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

So I have a 2/2/2 ruler with a 5/4/5 grown son. Naturally, I decided to put him in the field. Somehow that 2 military skill equates to 4 points of fire and 4 shock.  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Playing as France.  Keeping the clergy happy is a bit of a pain given the advantages the others give me.  Balancing act between boosting manpower by giving the Nobles land and the long term economic advantage of keeping the merchant class powerful.  Its a nice mechanism that adds a lot more choice of whom to favour and when to call in those favours.