Racism alive and well in Mississippi:Black pipple can't marry in whitey's church

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 08:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2012, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 01:06:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 01:01:29 AM
Also, I supported your crazy ass in the nepotism thread - why are you taking pot shots here?

Cause I dislike you shrill anti-religion screeds.
Of all the things Marty talks about, that's what you have a problem with?

Though certainly not his worst, his ant-religion stuff is pretty tiring.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 10:44:46 AM
Polish priests preach to everyone.  There's a couple at Westminster Cathedral.

I think they do fine. 
How do they overcome the language barrier?  :huh:

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM
Did Poland have a Counter-Reformation Marti? Because I think priests are pretty educated everywhere the Jesuits got to.

We had Jesuits but they have always been fairly unpopular. Plus they were kicked out of the Russian Kingdom for a while in the 19th century.
Maybe the Russianness matters too? I wonder of there was a difference in style of Catholicism in, say, Austrian occupied Poland?

Especially keeping in mind that Russia was Orthodox, not Catholic.

Maximus

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on July 30, 2012, 10:23:26 PM
What kind of an answer is that?
An honest one.  You want people proclaiming their personal connection to God go find a holy roller and watch your wallet.  A priesthood implies training, education, knowledge - I suppose a sort of professionalism.

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2012, 04:30:22 PM
How do they overcome the language barrier?  :huh:
They speak in English :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 10:30:40 PM
An honest one.
Hardly. You're imposing your own definition on the word and contrasting it with a pejorative.

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 10:30:40 PM
Quote from: Maximus on July 30, 2012, 10:23:26 PM
What kind of an answer is that?
An honest one.  You want people proclaiming their personal connection to God go find a holy roller and watch your wallet.  A priesthood implies training, education, knowledge - I suppose a sort of professionalism.

As far as watching your wallet goes, while the priests themselves take a vow of poverty, the Catholic Church as an institution isn't known for its lack of wealth.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on July 30, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Hardly. You're imposing your own definition on the word and contrasting it with a pejorative.
You shouldn't be so down on low Church Protestantism :P

I don't think I'm imposing my meaning on the word, you're imposing a theological point on it.  Etymologically it comes from the Greek 'prebyster' which means elder.  The defining feature is not personal connection with God (that's perhaps more implied in the 'sacerdos' who was a sacrificing priest) but a quality of knowledge - it's for that we turn to elders.

For what it's worth I think the hints of Jesuitical smartness is part what made many low Church groups turn from the label of priest in favour of 'minister', 'pastor' or, indeed, 'presbyter'.  Being a 'priest' suggests something of the Pharisees rather than, as you say, a personal or communal  relationship with God.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 10:54:51 PM
As far as watching your wallet goes, while the priests themselves take a vow of poverty, the Catholic Church as an institution isn't known for its lack of wealth.
No doubt.  Though, in fairness, I imagine most of that's in assets.  What little money they make, they make as any honest Roman would, by money laundering for the Mafia.  Ad maiorem Dei gloriam and all that :P
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:06:15 PM

For what it's worth I think the hints of Jesuitical smartness is part what made many low Church groups turn from the label of priest in favour of 'minister', 'pastor' or, indeed, 'presbyter'.  Being a 'priest' suggests something of the Pharisees rather than, as you say, a personal or communal  relationship with God.

OTOH, "priest" is also the term that would commonly be used for leaders of pagan religions.  And in this context, by "pagan" I mean tribal religious groups, not "pagan" as in classic Greco-Roman religion and certainly not in the sense of neo-pagans.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2012, 04:29:58 PM
Also, I supported your crazy ass in the nepotism thread - why are you taking pot shots here?

What's "ant-religion"?

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on July 31, 2012, 03:04:23 AM

What's "ant-religion"?
The queen is the only god and hamilcar is her prophet
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 09:56:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM
Did Poland have a Counter-Reformation Marti? Because I think priests are pretty educated everywhere the Jesuits got to.

We had Jesuits but they have always been fairly unpopular. Plus they were kicked out of the Russian Kingdom for a while in the 19th century.
Maybe the Russianness matters too? I wonder of there was a difference in style of Catholicism in, say, Austrian occupied Poland?

Especially keeping in mind that Russia was Orthodox, not Catholic.

We are talking about Russia-occupied Poland. It was a part of the Russian Empire and it was Catholic.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 31, 2012, 03:04:23 AM

What's "ant-religion"?

:yawn:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Yeah, funny me, taking offense at his casual talk of murder of large segments of the population.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017