Racism alive and well in Mississippi:Black pipple can't marry in whitey's church

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 08:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jMKmRMAKyHxerSCI6Jsh3dSxi4Ug?docId=CNG.9945fb93033ef5c0f101f42ee8c074af.291

QuoteUS couple denied wedding because they were black
(AFP) – 10 hours ago 
WASHINGTON — A Mississippi couple got the shock of their lives when the pastor at the church they attended told them the wedding they planned could not be held there because they are black, ABC television reported.

Pastor Stan Weatherford told the network there had never been a wedding for blacks at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Mississippi, since it was opened in 1883.

He said some of the white congregarion so virulently opposed the wedding of Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson, who are black, that they threatened to have him fired.

Weatherford, a pastor who is white, offered to wed the Wilsons down the road at a mostly black church, he told the network.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

The would-be groom told WAPT that the couple intended to join the church as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20. Until they got the bad news that forced them to move their ceremony to another church where it was held July 21.

Locals voiced shock at the pastor's move.

"That church was their home," said local resident Theresa Norwood, 48. "What would Jesus have done? He would have married them, without a doubt, because it's the right thing to do. We're all God's children," she said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

I'm finding myself in agreement with Neil a lot lately. Should I be worried? :unsure:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 10:19:58 AM
Oh that poor church. It is now going to reasonably get fucked.

Never took you for the religious type.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Yeah I kinda feel sorry for them. I think we are reaching the point, when it comes to equality, when individuals and private organizations could actually use some freedom in being bigoted. Besides, I'm pretty sure that church would have also refused to marry two guys, so why make a big fuss out of this particular case of discrimination?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2012, 12:24:06 PM

Yeah I kinda feel sorry for them. I think we are reaching the point, when it comes to equality, when individuals and private organizations could actually use some freedom in being bigoted. Besides, I'm pretty sure that church would have also refused to marry two guys, so why make a big fuss out of this particular case of discrimination?
Outrage sells.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM
QuoteTe'Andrea

Relation of yours, garbon?

<_<

Though I'd say no as that is nowhere near as hard to pronounce as Meo'shay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Jaron

It sounds like the pastor was just trying to avoid conflict and drama for the black couples wedding. He sounds like a good man.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2012, 12:24:06 PM

Because everyone generally agrees that racism is a problem. That isn't the same for homophobia (yet).

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)