Racism alive and well in Mississippi:Black pipple can't marry in whitey's church

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 08:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 07:23:01 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2012, 06:49:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2012, 08:57:49 PM
Protestants are weird like that.
They get their mileage out of outrage and feelings of victimization rather than education.

It's funny how this is true for Catholics here. So I think this has very little to do with your denomination and more with the kind of mindset that turns people to religion these days.
Or politics, if there is a difference between the two.
PDH!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 12:55:10 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Yeah, while you can still get a real doctorate in divinity or theology from a real university

It always seemed funny to me that you can get a PhD in something that's completely invented and utter bollocks. But then again the same goes for sociology.

Under various names divinity / theology etc were actually the original doctorates, and the focus of education for all major European universities founded more than 500-600 years ago. Even until relatively recently the religious program at Oxford was considered the most prominent and most respected.

I don't actually get why it would matter that it's completely invented, you can say that about anything that isn't one of the four hard sciences, maths, the engineering disciplines and a few other things dealing mostly with physical laws. I mean, you know that the law is just contrived, right? So is literature, which is a pretty legitimate PhD. path.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 12:57:30 AM
Incidentally, I meant to ask Sheilbh about it - I think there are now plenty of Polish priests being relocated to the UK, to help prevent the "secularisation" - do they also preach to the general populace or just the Polish immigrants? If the former, how they are doing?
Polish priests preach to everyone.  There's a couple at Westminster Cathedral.

I think they do fine. 

QuoteHint: The education of doctors from the UK and from Bangladesh is not necessarily the same even if they both need to graduate from a medical school.
I think most UK priests train abroad.  There's only a couple of seminaries in England, the majority are in Spain, Belgium and Rome.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 10:44:46 AM
Polish priests preach to everyone.  There's a couple at Westminster Cathedral.

I think they do fine. 

My friend was telling me how her church has had a visiting Polish priest for the last several weeks.  Apparently he's been a real hit with the flock.

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 09:30:44 PM
Growing up in Woodlawn in the 1970s we had a family that lived down the street, they used their basement for their church, "The Church Of What's Happening Now".

Every corner Baptistard and his brother usually get their shit from correspondence schools advertised on the back of matchbooks by Sally Struthers.  DEGREES AVAILABLE IN TV/VCR REPAIR ELECTRICIAN VETERINARIAN ASSISTANT BAPTIST MINISTER!

The Catholic Church may have its issues, but at least its priests are fucking professionally educated on a level rarely seen in other religions.  'Cept the Jews, they have their own thing going.
I'm baffled by the idea that priests need to be trained. Surely their god will just tell them what he wants to have said.

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 30, 2012, 10:36:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 12:55:10 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Yeah, while you can still get a real doctorate in divinity or theology from a real university

It always seemed funny to me that you can get a PhD in something that's completely invented and utter bollocks. But then again the same goes for sociology.

Under various names divinity / theology etc were actually the original doctorates, and the focus of education for all major European universities founded more than 500-600 years ago. Even until relatively recently the religious program at Oxford was considered the most prominent and most respected.

I don't actually get why it would matter that it's completely invented, you can say that about anything that isn't one of the four hard sciences, maths, the engineering disciplines and a few other things dealing mostly with physical laws. I mean, you know that the law is just contrived, right? So is literature, which is a pretty legitimate PhD. path.

Well, actually, engineering is sort of by definition completely invented.   ;)

Sheilbh

Did Poland have a Counter-Reformation Marti? Because I think priests are pretty educated everywhere the Jesuits got to.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on July 30, 2012, 11:14:22 AM
I'm baffled by the idea that priests need to be trained. Surely their god will just tell them what he wants to have said.
They're priests, not snake handlers.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM
Did Poland have a Counter-Reformation Marti? Because I think priests are pretty educated everywhere the Jesuits got to.

We had Jesuits but they have always been fairly unpopular. Plus they were kicked out of the Russian Kingdom for a while in the 19th century.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 09:30:44 PM
Growing up in Woodlawn in the 1970s we had a family that lived down the street, they used their basement for their church, "The Church Of What's Happening Now".

Every corner Baptistard and his brother usually get their shit from correspondence schools advertised on the back of matchbooks by Sally Struthers.  DEGREES AVAILABLE IN TV/VCR REPAIR ELECTRICIAN VETERINARIAN ASSISTANT BAPTIST MINISTER!

The Catholic Church may have its issues, but at least its priests are fucking professionally educated on a level rarely seen in other religions.  'Cept the Jews, they have their own thing going.

Cause you don't understand their religion and haven't taken the time to learn?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Keep in mind everything that Marty says is suspect.  I mean, he was giving us the impression that he was in mortal danger if he came out of the closet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM

We had Jesuits but they have always been fairly unpopular. Plus they were kicked out of the Russian Kingdom for a while in the 19th century.
Maybe the Russianness matters too? I wonder of there was a difference in style of Catholicism in, say, Austrian occupied Poland?
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 11:49:29 AM

Cause you don't understand their religion and haven't taken the time to learn?

Plus he wants to show us how edgy he is by mocking religion on a board mostly consisting of atheists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 11:44:38 AM
They're priests, not snake handlers.
He grew up among combine harvester handlers, so you'll have to excuse him.  Dogmatic theology is a little beyond the Anabaptistly educated.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 01:06:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 01:01:29 AM
Also, I supported your crazy ass in the nepotism thread - why are you taking pot shots here?

Cause I dislike you shrill anti-religion screeds.
Of all the things Marty talks about, that's what you have a problem with?