News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Man In Wheelchair Assaulted On Critical Mass

Started by mongers, July 30, 2012, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2012, 09:05:16 AMAnd it's not the mode of transport that makes someone a tool it's the areshole inside or riding it that does. 

Difficult to see the importance of maintaining the distinction when there is such a high degree of co-occurrence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2012, 08:44:17 AM
Similar in SF are the nudism activists. As if that's a real pressing issue.

I don't know about the nudists, haven't encountered that sort of 'protest' and at least one can avert ones gaze, but the CM lot is a classic example of protest for protest sake. 

And from my experience it's hugely counter-productive, as they intentionally set out to cause traffic chaos; one of the terms they use is 'corking' junctions/intersections, you can guess what the idea behind that is.
So that give the lie to the claim that they're just slow moving collections of cyclists legally using the roads or 'reclaiming' them.

Think of all the people in buses are cars, having to get places who are delayed by these clown's antics and how that negatively affects their opinions about all cyclists.

As I say I doubt many of these are 'real' cyclist, by that I mean people who use bikes for the majority of their journeys for lengthy periods of their lives; I'm guessing the majority of these people are urban protestoarti who jump on whatever the current protest bandwagon is, get themselves a bike, get into the 'scene', enjoy causing trouble whilst thinking its cleaver and socking it to The Man.   
The reality is they just degrade the city experience of many more of their fellow citizens than their own self-righteous numbers at these gatherings.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

The nudists in SF don't really protest so much as they just walk around naked all the time. However, there is a group of them that rally together and share info on what are their rights and how they can gain greater acceptance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2012, 09:19:37 AM
As I say I doubt many of these are 'real' cyclist, by that I mean people who use bikes for the majority of their journeys for lengthy periods of their lives

Who are these people?

Anyway, whether you like it or not, those that you disdain are cyclists as well. And I'd suggest other than the pros, they are the cyclists most in view - especially as they agitate for more and more bike lanes.