Racism alive and well in Mississippi:Black pipple can't marry in whitey's church

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 08:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:01:15 PM
That's why I like Priests, if anything they're well educated...and in a real educational system. A lot of Protestant "ministers" in America get their undergraduate degree from unaccredited bible colleges that basically give degrees away like candy, then they get a series of masters and doctoral degrees from degree mills that specialize in getting tards certified to be Protestant bible thumbing preachers.
Yeah, the minister and my mother in law's Southern Baptist church got his "doctorate" and alot of people call him "Dr. Curry" now (prior to that, he was universally known as "Brother Tom").  I prefer to call him "Brother Asshole". :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, while you can still get a real doctorate in divinity or theology from a real university, most protestant ministers seem to get them from degree mills.

I think most Protestant seminaries you need a four year degree, which usually at least was at an actual school (albeit an unaccredited bible college)--but the seminaries where a lot of these guys get their "doctorates" are little more than correspondence colleges or even just scam shops where you pay cash and get a degree in the mail.

Caliga

To be fair to Brother Asshole, I think he did get his doctor of divinity from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (which is here in Louisville).  I don't know how it compares to other colleges, but it's certainly not a degree mill.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Yeah, while you can still get a real doctorate in divinity or theology from a real university, most protestant ministers seem to get them from degree mills.

I think most Protestant seminaries you need a four year degree, which usually at least was at an actual school (albeit an unaccredited bible college)--but the seminaries where a lot of these guys get their "doctorates" are little more than correspondence colleges or even just scam shops where you pay cash and get a degree in the mail.

Growing up in Woodlawn in the 1970s we had a family that lived down the street, they used their basement for their church, "The Church Of What's Happening Now".

Every corner Baptistard and his brother usually get their shit from correspondence schools advertised on the back of matchbooks by Sally Struthers.  DEGREES AVAILABLE IN TV/VCR REPAIR ELECTRICIAN VETERINARIAN ASSISTANT BAPTIST MINISTER!

The Catholic Church may have its issues, but at least its priests are fucking professionally educated on a level rarely seen in other religions.  'Cept the Jews, they have their own thing going.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah...the "official" seminaries associated with the big denominations are usually legit. I know the SBC has one, there's a United Methodist seminary that is really respected too.

At the same time you can get a Doctorate in Divinity from a correspondence college too.

Ed Anger

If you want some hot repressed female baptists, I recommend Cedarville University. Bring beer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on July 29, 2012, 09:03:16 PM
Apologies, I misunderstood you and the post; I thought it was an interracial couple.

Actually after seeing this report on TV I thought the dude was white and it was an interracial couple but I guess he is just a light skinned black guy.  I know some people in the South still feel squicky about interracial marriage so I thought that was the deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on July 29, 2012, 08:49:10 PM
Anyway, I learned today that the Little Rock High School is now one of the best in Arkansas. So there's hope for them yet.

It was at the time I think.  That was why they wanted to integrate it, it was the fancy school in the state.  Actually other schools in Arkansas were already integrated which was why people thought it would be a good test case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2012, 09:22:15 PM
To be fair to Brother Asshole, I think he did get his doctor of divinity from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (which is here in Louisville).  I don't know how it compares to other colleges, but it's certainly not a degree mill.

There's a few big time institutions of higher education like that for that sort of thing, but for every SBTS grad there's a dozen snake handlers getting their shit from Uncle Scooter's Theological University & Bait Shop.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on July 29, 2012, 07:31:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2012, 12:24:06 PM
Yeah I kinda feel sorry for them. I think we are reaching the point, when it comes to equality, when individuals and private organizations could actually use some freedom in being bigoted. Besides, I'm pretty sure that church would have also refused to marry two guys, so why make a big fuss out of this particular case of discrimination?

Because everyone generally agrees that racism is a problem. That isn't the same for homophobia (yet).

Not to mention that in Mississippi, if the church had refused to marry a gay couple, they would merely be obeying the law.

I think you failed to get my point.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2012, 08:07:42 PM
Also refusing to marry gays can be justified on religious grounds.  I can't think of any religious justification for refusing to marry a black couple.

Everything everywhere can be justified on religious grounds (and, in fact, mixed marriages bans for example were). There is a simple reason for it: religion is a pile of cooky bullshit.

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:01:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2012, 08:53:31 PM
He's a minister, so chances are good that he's stupid.

That's why I like Priests, if anything they're well educated...and in a real educational system. A lot of Protestant "ministers" in America get their undergraduate degree from unaccredited bible colleges that basically give degrees away like candy, then they get a series of masters and doctoral degrees from degree mills that specialize in getting tards certified to be Protestant bible thumbing preachers.

I like Priests too, but they are too squishy.

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 29, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Yeah, while you can still get a real doctorate in divinity or theology from a real university

It always seemed funny to me that you can get a PhD in something that's completely invented and utter bollocks. But then again the same goes for sociology.