20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2012, 09:13:35 PM
Realistically speaking, though, my guess is that AR-15s don't cause nearly as many senseless deaths as handguns.  Handguns may not bag as high a count when you decide to go on a rampage, but all those 7-11 clerks add up.  I imagine a big-ass gun is not nearly as useful when you want to stick up a place.

Works fine if you come in hot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Wow, this could have been a lot worse!  :wacko:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-screening-in-aurora-colo.-12-dead-dozens-more-wounded/?tag=stack

QuoteCBS News has learned that some loud music blaring from Holmes' apartment around the time of the attack allegedly was designed to draw a noise complaint from a neighbor, thus luring police into his residence, sparking a firebomb and diverting resources from the movie theater.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on July 20, 2012, 07:12:48 PM
Quote from: stjaba on July 20, 2012, 07:11:34 PM
I've seen some idiots post on facebook that the massacre would have been stopped if a member of the audience had a gun.

I gotta say I disagree. I would bet my money on the individual wearing body armor, armed with an assault rifle, and wearing a gas mask after having fired tear gas.

But they've all had 100 hours of practice on Call of Duty.  :lol:

My roommate owns a tricked out AR-15. What the hell is the point of that gun except for fighting an armed insurrection against the government or committing mass murder?

I shoot targets with mine.  A lot of people do competition shooting with them.  But thankfully I don't need to justify it with you :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Yeah, the only purpose of handguns is to commit murder.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 01:56:25 PM
'86. I actually ordered an '86 Mets replica jersey today. :)

Thinking about it - the century of baseball almost certainly ended in 1991. :)

1994 - Baseball Strike

That's when I completely shut my mind to baseball. I was done. Had been a Mets fan my entire life, but I haven't seen a pro game since.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

By the way, baseball's going nowhere.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

That's pretty low considering that MLB teams play about 63,000 games every year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

The Dodgers are at the top? Guess it comes from not having football.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2012, 11:09:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 01:56:25 PM
'86. I actually ordered an '86 Mets replica jersey today. :)

Thinking about it - the century of baseball almost certainly ended in 1991. :)

1994 - Baseball Strike

That's when I completely shut my mind to baseball. I was done. Had been a Mets fan my entire life, but I haven't seen a pro game since.

They got a good Al Bundy double episode out of the strike, though, with the National titty bar league. What was his team? The Chicago D-Cups?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2012, 11:09:45 PM
1994 - Baseball Strike

Did you do the same to the NBA and the NHL and the NFL when they had their strikes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 11:19:29 PM
That's pretty low considering that MLB teams play about 63,000 games every year.

Which is why they play that many games and the reason the NHL and NBA seasons are about 63,000 months long.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2012, 12:01:57 AM
Did you do the same to the NBA and the NHL and the NFL when they had their strikes?

The 1994 MLB strike was different. First, it was the second such strike in four years. Second, they whined about making too little cash for a sport that isn't really a sport to begin with. I've PLAYED baseball, basketball, and football. Baseball is NOT the same level of physical endurance as NBA, NHL and NFL. Christ, if you can be 50 pounds overweight and still play the game, I'm sorry, but don't even try to compare yourselves to real athletes. It's not even close. So when these whiny-ass bitches go off about not making enough - as if $5mil isn't enough - for the second time in four year for a sport that isn't really a sport... yeah, not so much.

Mind you, I grew up a HUGE baseball fan. I LOVED baseball and went to pro games whenever and wherever I could. But I also recognize the limitations of the game, and the limitations of the players. The strike in 1994 pulled the rug out from under me forever on the sport. I still watch minor league games whenever I can, but I'm done with the Majors.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 21, 2012, 12:24:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

The 1994 MLB strike was different. First, it was the second such strike in four years. Second, they whined about making too little cash for a sport that isn't really a sport to begin with. I've PLAYED baseball, basketball, and football. Baseball is NOT the same level of physical endurance as NBA, NHL and NFL. Christ, if you can be 50 pounds overweight and still play the game, I'm sorry, but don't even try to compare yourselves to real athletes. It's not even close. So when these whiny-ass bitches go off about not making enough - as if $5mil isn't enough - for the second time in four year for a sport that isn't really a sport... yeah, not so much.

Mind you, I grew up a HUGE baseball fan. I LOVED baseball and went to pro games whenever and wherever I could. But I also recognize the limitations of the game, and the limitations of the players. The strike in 1994 pulled the rug out from under me forever on the sport. I still watch minor league games whenever I can, but I'm done with the Majors.

Lifting huge boulders over your head takes lots of endurance I guess by your defintion that is the greatest sport of them all.  Caber tossing?

And um 395 pound linemen are not fifty pounds overweight?  I guess it is normal to weigh that much?

And it was almost twenty years ago most of those guys you think are whiny bitches are no longer playing but I guess everybody who plays the game for all time is guilty by association?  I mean in a year or two we are going to have major leaguers who were BORN in 1994.

And if you are watching Minor League baseball why did you say you are done with baseball?  Last I checked they play baseball in the minor leagues.  And why did you say you have not seen a pro game since?  It would be really upsetting for those minor leaguers to go get their game checks and be informed they were amateurs this whole time.  :P