20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Fuck all of you;  the century ended when the Curse of the Bambino was broken.

That was the only thing keeping it alive.  Everything after: Post-Boston apocalyptic wasteland.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2012, 02:02:28 PM
Fuck all of you;  the century ended when the Curse of the Bambino was broken.

That was the only thing keeping it alive.  Everything after: Post-Boston apocalyptic wasteland.

Considering that this was also the last season of the Expos before moving to Washington, you may be onto something.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2012, 01:52:12 PM
What this does have in common with the Utøya shooting (anniversary in two days) is that the victims have very limited opportunity to escape. The theatre does have fire exits while utøya didn't, but they are choke points. You are many orders of magnitude times more likely to be killed in a theater fire than a theater shooting, but I think future theaters will be built with that expectation.

Well the Scandi thing was politically motivated.  I'm guessing this guy is just a loon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 02:01:12 PM
No way the century of Baseball can include the DH :angry:

:mad:  The DH makes the game better.

Martinus

What this does have in common with the Utøya shooting (anniversary in two days) is that the victims have very limited opportunity to escape. The theatre does have fire exits while utøya didn't, but they are choke points. You are many orders of magnitude times more likely to be killed in a theater fire than a theater shooting, but I think future theaters will be built with that expectation.

Perhaps someone was shouting "fire" in the crowded theatre and the gunner misinterpreted that?  :hmm:

Camerus

Quote from: Martinus on July 20, 2012, 04:54:11 PM

Perhaps someone was shouting "fire" in the crowded theatre and the gunner misinterpreted that?  :hmm:

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Pretty much sums up the current state of the gun control debate in America.

QuoteRep. Gohmert: Did No One Else in Aurora Theater Have a Gun?

The shooting could have been limited if someone else in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater had been carrying a gun, Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert said today.

Gohmert reacted to the shooting, which left 12 dead, during an interview this morning on the radio program Ernest Istook Live! From The Heritage Foundation.

"Well it does make me wonder, you know with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying that could've stopped this guy more quickly?" Gohmert said. "I mean in Tyler, Texas, we had–my hometown–we had a shooter come in over a domestic matter, and just start shooting people. And it was a guy with a concealed carry–he got killed, but his shooting at this guy caused him to run and no doubt saved a lot of lives. He was a real hero."

Colorado allows residents to obtain concealed carry permits, according to the Colorado State Patrol website.

"I know that before we ever had concealed carry in Texas, there was a, just a senseless shooting years ago in Killeen, Texas, in a restaurant, and, you know, if we had had concealed carry permits at the time, there was a woman who had to leave her gun in her car, and if we'd had concealed carry the guy would've been stopped before he could've killed so many people," Gohmert said.

Radio host Ernest Istook asked Gohmert, a former judge, for his opinion on "the way that we have too many twisted minds in our society." Gohmert blamed the deterioration of Judeo-Christian values, citing cases in which public expressions of religion have been stifled.

"What really gets me as a Christian is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place," Gohmert said.

"When people say, 'You say there's a God, where is god in all of this?' Well, you know, we don't let–in fact we've threatened high school graduation participants that if they use God's name that they're going to be jailed," Gohmert said. "'Where is God?' Well, what have we done with God? We've told him we don't want him around. And I kind of like his protective hand being present."

More guns.  More God.

Siege

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 04:41:42 AM
They were probably driven to do it by Rush Limbaugh.

Wow, that was fast.
What else?
The dude was a Tea Party member, perhaps?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 07:53:15 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2012, 07:50:35 AM
This is what happens when a society tolerates guns.
FYP

I always knew you were a fucking liberal, behind all your cool guy camoflage.

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2012, 09:21:41 AM
3 month old baby is the youngest victim, in fair condition. :(

Dude used tear gas. How hard is that to get for civilians.

I can make tear gas in my kitchen, and I can make a silencer in Home depot.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 20, 2012, 06:59:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 07:53:15 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2012, 07:50:35 AM
This is what happens when a society tolerates guns.
FYP

I always knew you were a fucking liberal, behind all your cool guy camoflage.

I always knew he was a Canadian, never noticed this camouflage however.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

stjaba

I've seen some idiots post on facebook that the massacre would have been stopped if a member of the audience had a gun.

I gotta say I disagree. I would bet my money on the individual wearing body armor, armed with an assault rifle, and wearing a gas mask after having fired tear gas.

Fate

Quote from: stjaba on July 20, 2012, 07:11:34 PM
I've seen some idiots post on facebook that the massacre would have been stopped if a member of the audience had a gun.

I gotta say I disagree. I would bet my money on the individual wearing body armor, armed with an assault rifle, and wearing a gas mask after having fired tear gas.

But they've all had 100 hours of practice on Call of Duty.  :lol:

My roommate owns a tricked out AR-15. What the hell is the point of that gun except for fighting an armed insurrection against the government or committing mass murder?