20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 12:06:00 PM
Glad to see J isn't afraid to repeat items already reported in a 4 page thread.

:blush:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2012, 11:05:00 AM
Apparently he was pursuing a postgraduate degree in neuroscience.
Oh I see, another useless graduate student.  Probably a liberal too. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2012, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 09:38:22 AM
In my experience babies (in particular young babies) are actually pretty easy to take out to events.  They don't need much attention, just feed them when appropriate.  They are much easier to take places than my 2 year old is.

That's not my experience.  When Tommy was two he'd sit and watch most of the game.  He could walk, so I didn't have to carry him 100% of the time.  And like I said, this was August (which is hot down here) and at a baseball game, in a seating area where you'd expect foul balls.

I thought about trying to take Timmy to the CFL (Bombers / Esks) game last weekend, but realized there is no way on earth he'd sit still that long.   :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 20, 2012, 12:10:29 PM

Thanks Siege :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 12:13:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 20, 2012, 12:10:29 PM

Thanks Siege :P

Well ABC sure thought they had something special. There's a guy names Jim Holmes who is a registered Tea Party member. Turns out it wasn't the shooter though!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 12:11:28 PM
I thought about trying to take Timmy to the CFL (Bombers / Esks) game last weekend, but realized there is no way on earth he'd sit still that long.   :(

If you go into it with low enough expectations, I bet you'll have a good time.  If he's never been to a big sporting event, he'll surely get a kick out of it.  What helped with Tommy is that he was slightly stunned by seeing so many people in one place, so that kinda helped him stay in his seat (or on my lap for a good part of the time).  Nowadays he lasts about 3 or 4 innings and then wants to go to the kids area.

He's been a little better at football games, but he's usually with his cousins.  He doesn't seem to be that much into basketball games, but at hockey games there's usually enough going on to keep his interest the whole time-- particularly if I time the snacks well enough.

What are ticket prices like for CFL games?  If they're high enough I might agree with you & say it's not worth the risk. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on July 20, 2012, 11:51:50 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
Talk radio this morning also said that people with lots of education were usually pretty stupid and liberal.

No. Not making it up.
Howie Carr? :)
Nah, he is afternoon drive guy.  This was some cretin and his guest, who is probably some under-educated professor from the Heritage Foundation or some silly ass think tank.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2012, 12:19:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 12:11:28 PM

If you go into it with low enough expectations, I bet you'll have a good time.  If he's never been to a big sporting event, he'll surely get a kick out of it.  What helped with Tommy is that he was slightly stunned by seeing so many people in one place, so that kinda helped him stay in his seat (or on my lap for a good part of the time).  Nowadays he lasts about 3 or 4 innings and then wants to go to the kids area.

He's been a little better at football games, but he's usually with his cousins.  He doesn't seem to be that much into basketball games, but at hockey games there's usually enough going on to keep his interest the whole time-- particularly if I time the snacks well enough.

What are ticket prices like for CFL games?  If they're high enough I might agree with you & say it's not worth the risk.

Prices are very reasonable.  I could sign him up for their kdis club and he'd get in for $9 (adults for $27), or could go to a family general admission seating for $22 each.

I might give it a shot at some point this summer - it could be something the two of us do.  If you're in a family section I guess they have to expect kids to be running around part of the time anyways.

NHL on the other hand, isn't going to happen for a long time.  Plus, while I don't mind if he becomes an Esks fan, I'm going to fight the Oilers influence till my dying breath.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Also mentinoed this morning was the Bane - Bain - Romney connection.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 12:29:37 PM
NHL on the other hand, isn't going to happen for a long time.  Plus, while I don't mind if he becomes an Esks fan, I'm going to fight the Oilers influence till my dying breath.   :ph34r:

I know what you mean.  I'm risking Tommy becoming a Reds fan (not the end of the world but I'd like to 'raise him as a Cardinals fan' if possible) with each Reds game I take him to, which is about 6 or 7 per season.  He likes to clap when everyone else does, and gets confused when the Cardinals are playing and nobody claps for them.  What I have going for me is a Cards vs. Reds rivalry brewing between him and his cousin.

He'll stay in my good graces as long as he never asks me for Cubs or Steelers gear.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall