20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: stjaba on July 20, 2012, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 08:14:00 AM

6 year-olds definitely shouldn't be watching midnight screenings.

Apparently, there was a 3 month year old there. :hmm:

:hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Kleves

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 09:35:29 AM
Breivik in Norway gave himself up.   :huh:
Sure, but he was Norwegian. They're not as experienced with mass killings as Americans are.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 09:19:13 AM
I think it is okay for our society not to provide care at midnight so that parents can hang out at a late night movie. :P

What about parents who work the night shift, huh?  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2012, 09:28:25 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2012, 08:50:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 08:14:00 AM

6 year-olds definitely shouldn't be watching midnight screenings.

------

I'm watching the CNN and Fox News coverage. Already, some of the commentators are talking about violent video games and movies and how they probably influenced the shooter.  :wacko:

-----

One last thought: You know some slimy Hollywood execs are pissed because this incident will scare some people from going to showings this weekend and therefore the movie won't set the new record for highest weekend opening gross.
Only an asshole would bring a baby to a movie.

I saw a baby get hit by a foul ball at a Reds game one time.  I wondered who the hell wants to bring a baby to a baseball game, particularly on one of the hotter days in August.

In my experience babies (in particular young babies) are actually pretty easy to take out to events.  They don't need much attention, just feed them when appropriate.  They are much easier to take places than my 2 year old is.

Barrister

Quote from: Kleves on July 20, 2012, 09:33:49 AM
Well, on the bright side, this might make it easier to get in to see TDKR this weekend.

I have to admit - I chuckled.   :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 09:35:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2012, 07:56:03 AM
Interesting how he gave himself up in the parking lot; usually mass shooting goofs don't allow themselves to be captured alive.

Breivik in Norway gave himself up.   :huh:

Was he an American goof?  No.  So STFU.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2012, 09:38:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 09:19:13 AM
I think it is okay for our society not to provide care at midnight so that parents can hang out at a late night movie. :P

What about parents who work the night shift, huh?  :mad:

Sucks to be them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 09:38:22 AM
In my experience babies (in particular young babies) are actually pretty easy to take out to events.  They don't need much attention, just feed them when appropriate.  They are much easier to take places than my 2 year old is.

That's not my experience.  When Tommy was two he'd sit and watch most of the game.  He could walk, so I didn't have to carry him 100% of the time.  And like I said, this was August (which is hot down here) and at a baseball game, in a seating area where you'd expect foul balls.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

FBI and police officer just spoke, dude's apartment really is booby trapped!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

stjaba

An aspiring sports broadcaster was killed: http://deadspin.com/5927673/aspiring-sportscaster-killed-in-shooting-at-colorado-movie-theater

The creepy part? Apparently, she narrowly avoided a mass shooting at  a mall in Toronto a few months back. She wrote a blog on that experience:

Except:

I can't get this odd feeling out of my chest. This empty, almost sickening feeling won't go away. I noticed this feeling when I was in the Eaton Center in Toronto just seconds before someone opened fire in the food court. An odd feeling which led me to go outside and unknowingly out of harm's way. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how a weird feeling saved me from being in the middle of a deadly shooting.

What started off as a trip to the mall to get sushi and shop, ended up as a day that has forever changed my life. I was on a mission to eat sushi that day, and when I'm on a mission, nothing will deter me. When I arrived at the Eaton Center mall, I walked down to the food court and spotted a sushi restaurant. Instead of walking in, sitting down and enjoying sushi, I changed my mind, which is very unlike me, and decided that a greasy burger and poutine would do the trick. I rushed through my dinner. I found out after seeing a map of the scene, that minutes later a man was standing in the same spot I just ate at and opened fire in the food court full of people. Had I had sushi, I would've been in the same place where one of the victims was found.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: stjaba on July 20, 2012, 09:53:41 AM
The creepy part? Apparently, she narrowly avoided a mass shooting at  a mall in Toronto a few months back. She wrote a blog on that experience:

You can only dodge so many mass shootings in life, man.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2012, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: stjaba on July 20, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

You can only dodge so many mass shootings in life, man.

Many people don't come across mass shootings...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Seems like there might be a serious bomb inside that building. They've evacuated the five nearest apartments, fire crews have run houses and a hazmat team just showed up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Hopefully the parents were killed.  Bringing a baby to a movie, and a midnight showing of a non-kids movie no less, is probably what set the shooter off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.