20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2012, 11:09:45 PM
1994 - Baseball Strike

That's when I completely shut my mind to baseball. I was done. Had been a Mets fan my entire life, but I haven't seen a pro game since.

I did the exact same thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Eh, can't really blame the players for wanting more money any more than one can blame the owners for not wanting to give it to them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2012, 04:42:24 PM
Eh, can't really blame the players for wanting more money any more than one can blame the owners for not wanting to give it to them.

Someone have one of those pretty graphs that show ticket prices over the years??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2012, 04:42:24 PM

Of course not.  It's what they do to achieve that goal that's blameworthy.

The Brain

If you take a huge dump on your customers you should expect some hard feelings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 21, 2012, 05:00:21 PM
If you take a huge dump on your customers you should expect some hard feelings.

They're the league's customers, not the union's. Anyway, the players who went on strike in '94 are nearly all retired now.

The Brain

Most of them were retarded already in 94.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 21, 2012, 01:23:53 AM
But some time in the mid-90s, MLB took the path less travelled in professional sport - we don't care about competitive balance.  Big money is indeed allowed to dominate.

The results on the field do not support that idea.  And anyway the league with the least competitive balance is the NBA not MLB.  Pretty much the only reason to watch is to see if somebody is going to stop the Lakers (and it looked for a second like that might be coming to an end...but no here come the Lakers again).

And high draft picks make a huge difference just like in any other sport.  Look what that has done for the Nationals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2012, 05:57:16 PM
And anyway the league with the least competitive balance is the NBA not MLB.

That's nuts.  Any bottom dweller team is one lottery pick away from a dynasty.  Look at the Bulls pre-Jordan.  Cavs pre-James.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2012, 06:09:55 PM

That's nuts.  Any bottom dweller team is one lottery pick away from a dynasty.  Look at the Bulls pre-Jordan.  Cavs pre-James.
Indeed.  The NBA, more than any other, is a hero-driven league.  It is the least team-oriented of all the team sports.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Still, the Lakers and Celtics have managed to snap up half the championships between them.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2012, 06:30:40 PM
Still, the Lakers and Celtics have managed to snap up half the championships between them.

The Lakers have won 31 out of 63 Western Conference titles since they entered the NBA in 1948.  Yeah so very balanced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Of the 26 NBA teams eight have never won a championship. That's nearly a full third of the league! The top 9 teams have won 83.8% of the championships!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2012, 05:57:16 PMAnd anyway the league with the least competitive balance is the NBA not MLB.  Pretty much the only reason to watch is to see if somebody is going to stop the Lakers (and it looked for a second like that might be coming to an end...but no here come the Lakers again).

It's plain to see that you don't really follow the NBA, as the Lakers haven't been amongst the 4 best teams for the last 2 seasons.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 21, 2012, 07:48:14 PM
It's plain to see that you don't really follow the NBA, as the Lakers haven't been amongst the 4 best teams for the last 2 seasons.

I know and I have enjoyed them merely being among the good teams and not the elite teams for a short while.  But judging from the offseason they will be back to form this year.