20 people shot at Batman midnight screening.

Started by katmai, July 20, 2012, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

A more armed citizenry could have prevented this tragedy. We need to loosen gun laws.

The suspect was a recent PhD student. We need to defund universities.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2012, 12:36:11 PM
I know what you mean.  I'm risking Tommy becoming a Reds fan (not the end of the world but I'd like to 'raise him as a Cardinals fan' if possible) with each Reds game I take him to, which is about 6 or 7 per season.  He likes to clap when everyone else does, and gets confused when the Cardinals are playing and nobody claps for them.  What I have going for me is a Cards vs. Reds rivalry brewing between him and his cousin.

He'll stay in my good graces as long as he never asks me for Cubs or Steelers gear.
Surely he won't be a baseball fan, will he?  This is the 21st century.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 20, 2012, 12:16:03 PM

#Breaking: Gothahm PD Comissioner Gordon says CO Suspect Joker ....

too early? Yeah, probably...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 01:17:12 PM

The Century of Baseball!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

It's time for them to invent some new popular sports, all the current ones have been around since the 19th century at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 01:32:10 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 01:17:12 PM
The Century of Baseball!
Wasn't the century of baseball 1880-1980?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 01:43:25 PM

That was just a prologue to the greatest century the sport has ever experienced.  Baseball shall take the world by storm.

And besides that it was 1870-1970.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2012, 01:41:30 PM
It's time for them to invent some new popular sports, all the current ones have been around since the 19th century at least.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

With all the concussion lawsuits coming I think flag football will soon be our #1 sport.

Viking

What this does have in common with the Utøya shooting (anniversary in two days) is that the victims have very limited opportunity to escape. The theatre does have fire exits while utøya didn't, but they are choke points. You are many orders of magnitude times more likely to be killed in a theater fire than a theater shooting, but I think future theaters will be built with that expectation.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 01:43:25 PM

That was just a prologue to the greatest century the sport has ever experienced.  Baseball shall take the world by storm.

And besides that it was 1870-1970.

Surely the "century of baseball" has got to include 1985. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

'86. I actually ordered an '86 Mets replica jersey today. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2012, 01:41:30 PM

Blernsball's day will come. :yes:

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 01:56:25 PM
'86. I actually ordered an '86 Mets replica jersey today. :)

Thinking about it - the century of baseball almost certainly ended in 1991. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
Thinking about it - the century of baseball almost certainly ended in 1991. :)

No way the century of Baseball can include the DH :angry: