The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 06:17:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 06:11:12 PM
Last I checked, I had no special voting superpowers that others here lacked.

I think the argument is that whites can get away from their day jobs easier than minorities.

You guys have absentee voting?  That would take a lot of the bite out of the voter suppression argument I figure.

How does it take the bite out of the fact that the Republicans are running a campaign to deliberately make it harder for people to vote in specifically targeted districts?

Whatever way you think people may be able to get around it, the fact remains that that the Republicans are trying outright voter suppression. Whether it's successful or not, it's anti-democratic. Republicans of integrity ought to shut this shit down immediately.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 06:29:33 PM
How does it take the bite out of the fact that the Republicans are running a campaign to deliberately make it harder for people to vote in specifically targeted districts?

Maybe Cincinnati voters shouldn't be electing a board that wants to disenfranchise them then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Whatever way you think people may be able to get around it, the fact remains that that the Republicans are trying outright voter suppression. Whether it's successful or not, it's anti-democratic. Republicans of integrity ought to shut this shit down immediately.

The fact that Cincinnati has a Republican election commission suggests to me it's located in a majority Republican county.

MadImmortalMan

Cincy always votes GOP. It's strange for a big city to do that, but they do.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Cincy just sucks. I wish there was a way to teleport across the river without going through the city.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 06:40:15 PM

The fact that Cincinnati has a Republican election commission suggests to me it's located in a majority Republican county.

So... because the majority in a locality tries to implement voter suppression against a minority, that makes it okay?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 06:24:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 06:15:03 PM
Husted changed the rules. Y'all won.

Edit: Well Seedy won. Jacob doesn't count. Sorry jake. :console:

I totally count. Check it out: one... two... three... four... five...
:yes: As a resident math expert here, I can confirm that Jake can indeed count.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 06:51:09 PM
So... because the majority in a locality tries to implement voter suppression against a minority, that makes it okay?

Not in the slighest.

Next we move on to the discussion of whether this is an example of voter suppression.

Yi starts out by posing the question of whether this move does in fact disproportionately impact minorities or not.

Jacob counters by retorting that of course it's voter suppression.

Seedy commends Jacob on making an excellent point.

Ed Anger

With the great Ohio crisis over, attention now shifts to the lazy residents of the Keystone state. Full of Yinzers and other assorted scum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 06:55:53 PM
Next we move on to the discussion of whether this is an example of voter suppression.

Yi starts out by posing the question of whether this move does in fact disproportionately impact minorities or not.

Jacob counters by retorting that of course it's voter suppression.

Seedy commends Jacob on making an excellent point.
Isn't the voter suppression by making it more difficult to vote in an area with more minorities than an area with less?  I was reading some old notes and I think from a Euro-perspective, even if the effect is equal it's a form of indirect discrimination.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 06:59:11 PM
Isn't the voter suppression by making it more difficult to vote in an area with more minorities than an area with less?  I was reading some old notes and I think from a Euro-perspective, even if the effect is equal it's a form of indirect discrimination.

That's retarded.  Why would the Republican Illuminiti want to sacrifice 10,000 white GOP votes for the sake of suppressing 5,000 black Democratic votes?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 07:01:41 PM
That's retarded.  Why would the Republican Illuminiti want to sacrifice 10,000 white GOP votes for the sake of suppressing 5,000 black Democratic votes?
In the wider context of increasing access in areas with fewer minorities?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 07:03:16 PM
In the wider context of increasing access in areas with fewer minorities?

I'm not following you.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 06:46:41 PM
Cincy just sucks. I wish there was a way to teleport across the river without going through the city.

Stop taking I-75 thru the city, FFS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2012, 06:40:15 PMThe fact that Cincinnati has a Republican election commission suggests to me it's located in a majority Republican county.

Did you read the part of the article where it said:

QuoteThe sleazy politics behind the disparity is obvious. Hamilton County, which contains Cincinnati, is largely Democratic and voted solidly for Barack Obama in 2008. So did the other urban areas of Cleveland, Columbus and Akron, where Republicans, with the assistance of the Ohio secretary of state, Jon Husted, have already eliminated the extended hours for early voting.