The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 04:03:37 PM
Well Obama's campaign is supposedly suing over the fact that military are still allowed to vote early in-person but regular citizens are not.

The key word is "supposedly"
Infact they aren't suing to stop the military from early voting, they are suing to rescind the amendment that took away the same privileges from everyone else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
This would be a violation of our Charter.  What say you American law talkers.  Can they actually do this?

Are you asking whether there is a US legal precedent for the proposition that there could be a consitutional problem if the right to vote for presidential electors in a state is effectively subject to radically different conditions and rules depending on the specific locality of the prospective voter within the state? 

I could think of one case that might have some bearing on the issue . . . ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
Maybe this should be in Ed's Ohio thread, but whatever: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/overt-discrimination-in-ohio.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share

Short version: Republicans are stepping up their voter suppression efforts. Pretty disgusting if you believe in democracy.

QuoteIf you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.
Related in Opinion

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you're out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends,

Stupid article is mixing county/city distinctions.  But anyway, I live in Hamilton County where I'm supposedly "out of luck".  Somehow I think I'll manage.  I can still vote early, or just vote on election day.  I'll probably vote early since it's looking like I'll be in Argentina early November.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Confident of Barry win so house hunting?
I'm proud of you for sticking to convictions spicy!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2012, 04:34:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 04:03:37 PM
Well Obama's campaign is supposedly suing over the fact that military are still allowed to vote early in-person but regular citizens are not.

The key word is "supposedly"
Infact they aren't suing to stop the military from early voting, they are suing to rescind the amendment that took away the same privileges from everyone else.

Sorry I just stated that poorly as I meant to say what you put in your clarification.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Maybe this should be in Ed's Ohio thread, but whatever: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/opinion/overt-discrimination-in-ohio.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share

Short version: Republicans are stepping up their voter suppression efforts. Pretty disgusting if you believe in democracy.

QuoteIf you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.
Related in Opinion

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you're out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends,

Funny...glad I'm not the only one seeing things.  Good you saw it, Jacob--when I mention voter suppression efforts, I'm just talking out of my ass.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 04:53:44 PMStupid article is mixing county/city distinctions.  But anyway, I live in Hamilton County where I'm supposedly "out of luck".  Somehow I think I'll manage.  I can still vote early, or just vote on election day.  I'll probably vote early since it's looking like I'll be in Argentina early November.

Of course you'll manage. You're not the targeted demographic, so you're supposed to.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2012, 03:48:56 PM

Related in Opinion

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends,

This would be a violation of our Charter.  What say you American law talkers.  Can they actually do this?

Probably, but it depends on Ohio election laws.  In North Carolina, apparantly it's at the option of the county election board as to when early voting takes place, but in West Virginia IIRC, the times are set by the state.

Ed Anger

I really wouldn't mind the animals in Over-the-Rhine suppressed anyways. By force.

That should be wild enough and racist enough for Languish.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 04:53:44 PMStupid article is mixing county/city distinctions.  But anyway, I live in Hamilton County where I'm supposedly "out of luck".  Somehow I think I'll manage.  I can still vote early, or just vote on election day.  I'll probably vote early since it's looking like I'll be in Argentina early November.

Of course you'll manage. You're not the targeted demographic, so you're supposed to.

Last I checked, I had no special voting superpowers that others here lacked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 06:11:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 06:00:33 PM

See Jacob, it's useless.

Ed Anger

Husted changed the rules. Y'all won.

Edit: Well Seedy won. Jacob doesn't count. Sorry jake. :console:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 06:11:12 PM

I think the argument is that whites can get away from their day jobs easier than minorities.

You guys have absentee voting?  That would take a lot of the bite out of the voter suppression argument I figure.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 06:15:03 PM
Husted changed the rules. Y'all won.

Edit: Well Seedy won. Jacob doesn't count. Sorry jake. :console:

I totally count. Check it out: one... two... three... four... five...

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2012, 05:49:44 PM

Related in Opinion

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends,

Funny...glad I'm not the only one seeing things.  Good you saw it, Jacob--when I mention voter suppression efforts, I'm just talking out of my ass.
You make it seem like such a big deal. if you just voted republican you wouldn't have these issues.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.