Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 06:53:59 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 21, 2012, 06:50:02 AM
:huh:  The Economist endorsed Obama.

I'm pretty sure the Economist followed my "endorsement" track of

Clinton vs Obama
McCain vs Obama
Obama/Biden vs McCain/Palin

Do they typically make endorsements for the general election before VP candidates have been named?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2012, 05:42:04 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 06:53:59 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 21, 2012, 06:50:02 AM
:huh:  The Economist endorsed Obama.

I'm pretty sure the Economist followed my "endorsement" track of

Clinton vs Obama
McCain vs Obama
Obama/Biden vs McCain/Palin

Do they typically make endorsements for the general election before VP candidates have been named?  :huh:

"endorsement" not Endorsement. The  paper supported candidates relatively openly and formally Endorsed a candidate after the conventions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_satan#Beliefs

QuoteThe Church of Satan does not worship or support a belief in the Devil or other supernatural entities. "My real feeling is that anybody who believes in supernatural entities on some level is insane. Whether they believe in The Devil or God, they are abdicating reason," said Peter Gilmore.[5] Gilmore defines the word Satan: "Satan is a model or a mode of behavior. Satan in Hebrew means 'adversary' or 'opposer'; one who questions."[5]

Satanists within the Church of Satan adhere to these as guidelines on how to live. However, it is important to remember that Satanists generally do not view the Satanic sins, statements, and rules of the earth as things that one must go out of their way to do. The Satanist ideally sees these things as truisms and how they naturally live their lives, as opposed to a Christian or Jew, who would strive to follow the words of Christ or the mitzvot, respectively.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I think they missed the point.  The point was to shock people and to wear a Halloween costume all year round.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

You can trust Ryan because he has hair on his crown instead of his chin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 10:58:24 PM

I gotta say, I like Paul Ryan more and more. If only he progressed to a lapsed Catholic.

Viking

Paul Ryan has specifically gone out of his way to deny her atheism and concentrates on Rand's Economic theory. Basically he denies her atheism and accepts her tax cutting. I'm perfectly willing to accept that. It is possible to hold two contradicting ideas at the same time.

The problem I have is that Ayn Rand wasn't an economist and really didn't know much about the topic at all, apart from the realization that Lenin's NEP was better than nationalization of all property. Rands central good Idea, the one that I very strongly support, is that reason is the best framework for understanding the world. I'm always amazed that Randites and Librarytarians focus on what an author has to say about tax cuts rather than what she has to say about thinking itself. Rand doesn't condemn religionists and progressives for what their conclusions are she condemns them for not using reason. Presuming in the process that if they had used reason they sure as hell wouldn't have reached their conclusions.

That is my problem with Ryan. He picks the Randian conclusions he likes but completely abandons the process. It's like he's claiming to be a christian but ignores the central bit in the message about loving one's neighbor and helping the poor - oh, wait, that is what he's doing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 04:48:49 AM
That is my problem with Ryan. He picks the Randian conclusions he likes but completely abandons the process. It's like he's claiming to be a christian but ignores the central bit in the message about loving one's neighbor and helping the poor - oh, wait, that is what he's doing.

:lol:  When you've got a bunch of nuns pissed off enough to rent a charter bus to let you know all about it, you've got a PR problem with your budget plan.