The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2012, 07:42:56 PM
The Economist stole my line.  They call the Ryan choice "risky for Romney, good for America."  :)

I thought you were off your Ryan kick after you accepted JR's argument that the Ryan plan was nonsense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Derspiess, that's probably the most ridiculed article in Newsweek in multiple years.  Not something to be proud of.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2012, 10:43:32 PM
I thought you were off your Ryan kick after you accepted JR's argument that the Ryan plan was nonsense.

"My Ryan kick" has only ever been your strawman.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2012, 08:01:40 PM
The Economist stole my line.  They call the Ryan choice "risky for Romney, good for America."  :)

Indeed, if it keeps Romney from being elected.

This is the magazine that endorsed Dubya's reelection, so meh.  Nobody listened to them when they endorsed McCain in the 2000 primaries, either.

They endorsed McCain/Palin ticket too. I love how some right wingers call them a leftwing rag.  :lol:

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 06:44:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2012, 08:01:40 PM

Indeed, if it keeps Romney from being elected.

This is the magazine that endorsed Dubya's reelection, so meh.  Nobody listened to them when they endorsed McCain in the 2000 primaries, either.

They endorsed McCain/Palin ticket too. I love how some right wingers call them a leftwing rag.  :lol:

:huh:  The Economist endorsed Obama.

Faeelin

Doesn't Ryan's plan effectively rely on magic to reduce the deficit?

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on August 21, 2012, 06:50:02 AM
:huh:  The Economist endorsed Obama.

I'm pretty sure the Economist followed my "endorsement" track of

Clinton vs Obama
McCain vs Obama
Obama/Biden vs McCain/Palin
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on August 21, 2012, 06:52:13 AM

Yes, and Republicans want to poison the water/air, steal old people's medicine, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

From the Financial Times:

QuoteThe president has his own problems with credibility. Much of the story of his first term has been that of a leader with all the intellectual skills required for the presidency but one lacking the bold temperament needed to translate intelligent analysis into effective action. His prospectus for a second term is at best hazy. Beyond the usual bromides, allies struggle even in private to articulate the president's ambitions for the next four years.

Mr Obama does have a deficit reduction plan – combining spending cuts and tax increases. But it falls short of the framework put forward by his own bipartisan commission. The Bowles-Simpson plan demanded deeper spending cuts and broader tax increases than Mr Obama has thought politically prudent to accept. Yet by shunning the plan. and by focusing during the campaign on raising taxes on the rich, Mr Obama has given the impression that he too is shirking the brutal fiscal reality.

I have heard Democrats say that it would be difficult for Mr Obama to change his mind and embrace Bowles-Simpson. Republicans would mock the about-turn. Maybe. But the president needs a project for his second term. Reviving the economy and then restoring health to the public finances is not a bad start. For all its flaws, Bowles-Simpson offers Mr Obama precious credibility.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2012, 09:18:54 AM

Yes, and Republicans want to poison the water/air, steal old people's medicine, etc.

Yes. What do you have to say for yourself?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 09:24:52 AM
From the Financial Times:

QuoteMr Obama does have a deficit reduction plan – combining spending cuts and tax increases. But it falls short of the framework put forward by his own bipartisan commission. The Bowles-Simpson plan demanded deeper spending cuts and broader tax increases than Mr Obama has thought politically prudent to accept. Yet by shunning the plan. and by focusing during the campaign on raising taxes on the rich, Mr Obama has given the impression that he too is shirking the brutal fiscal reality.

Not really a viable criticism of Obama that the Romney-Ryan campaign can use, since Mr. Chairman of the Budget Committee poo-poohed it as well.  Criticizing the President for rejecting the same plan you voted against doesn't float.

garbon

Not that they should but that in all of this, I realized that I didn't know what Obama's concrete plan was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2012, 09:25:45 AM

Yes. What do you have to say for yourself?

Nothing further, your honor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Acording to Mitt Romney, his VP candidate is doing exactly that.
Romney claims that Obama is stealing 700B from medicare.
Yet his VP candidate banks those exact same savings for his deficit reduction plan.  While really REALLY wouldn't work otherwise, a non-starter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2012, 03:59:53 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2012, 10:43:32 PM

"My Ryan kick" has only ever been your strawman.

Explain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017