Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2009, 02:41:51 AM
Syt hits the mark.
If only you had his precision, that wouldn't had been a failed suicide attempt.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2009, 02:42:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 06:34:15 PM

I asked a question.  Can you answer a simple question, or can you not?

It isn't my job to educate you.  I just wanna know how many years of actual experience stood behind such a claim.  Just for curiousity's sake.

Actually isn't your job "educator"?
So is Tim's and Jaron's.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:45:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2009, 02:41:51 AM
Syt hits the mark.
If only you had his precision, that wouldn't had been a failed suicide attempt.

Never made the attempt.  Pole.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:44:27 AM
What you seem not to understand is that on Languish we use racism, homophobia, sexism etc. as weapons. It does not mean we are actually necessarily racist, homophobic or sexist (except maybe if you belong to a ponytail commando, in which case you think everyone is).

And with some it's easier to tell how honest the jokes are than with others.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 02:48:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:44:27 AM
What you seem not to understand is that on Languish we use racism, homophobia, sexism etc. as weapons. It does not mean we are actually necessarily racist, homophobic or sexist (except maybe if you belong to a ponytail commando, in which case you think everyone is).

And with some it's easier to tell how honest the jokes are than with others.
Well it wasn't a joke. It was an angry insult. I use "faggot" as an insult too. That doesn't make me homophobic. IMO, there is a difference between using a racist or a homophobic insult to hurt someone by using their race or sexuality against them, and being a racist or a homophobe. I realize some people see this differently though.

Martinus

Essentially, the thing about stereotypes is that they are, to some extent, based in truth.

There is a stereotype that gay people are ecstasy popping idiots who fuck around carelessly and get AIDS. There is a stereotype that Asian people are mindless, hierarchy-following drones.

Both stereotypes are hurtful if applied as generalizations and used to denigrate entire groups (or used to judge members of these groups we know nothing about). And such cases are examples of homophobia, or racism, respectively.

However, if some stupid gay person gets high on ecstasy and then fucks around in darkrooms without a condom and gets AIDS, there is nothing homophobic in me calling him a stupid ecstasy-popping, AIDS-ridden faggot. And if some Asian guy says he just blindly follows orders and says that he should not have an opinion of his own, there is nothing racist in me calling him an Asian subhuman drone.

The Brain

Asian people ARE drones. Americans ARE fat and stupid. Non-Germanics HAVE greasy hair and are lazy. The truth isn't racist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 10:28:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 08, 2009, 07:43:00 PM
How would hanging random lieutenants encourage anyone?
Dunno even how that relates to my point.  Are you a ransom lieutenant, to be concerned?

I thought you above such things.  :(
You haven't really stated what your point is.  You've been very evaisive.

Poor form.  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 03:22:57 PM
Well the army does talk about developing courage and honor.  Maybe that idiocy led him to do that.
It also teaches loyalty, duty, respect, and selfless service - values he violated when he bitched on TV while still under contract.

Respect has to go both ways.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2009, 06:34:44 AM
Asian people ARE drones. Americans ARE fat and stupid. Non-Germanics HAVE greasy hair and are lazy. The truth isn't racist.

I don't have greasy hair!

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on May 09, 2009, 06:50:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2009, 06:34:44 AM

I don't have greasy hair!

:hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:30:00 AM
Go fuck yourself, Syt. My sexuality is constantly used against me in flame wars; people wish AIDS on me and whatnot. Yet I never see you jumping to my defense and denouncing homophobia prevalent in America or Europe.

This is Languish. We insult each other here. If you are going to be upset and turn your nose on that from your ivory tower, perhaps you should seek a different board to post on?

It's that not people are using your sexuality against you. They don't wish AIDS on you and what not because you're gay. They wish AIDS on you and what not because you're an asshole.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:25:25 AM
No, he isn't. He has a track record of being an anti-gay, homophobe. For example in a previous discussion about Dont Ask Dont Tell he said he is against repealing that policy because it would mean granting partner benefits to partners of gay soldiers, and that would take money away from heterosexual people like him.
No. I said that such aspects should be considered. We need to be pragmatic and analyze all angles. An argument people (you?) brought up in that thread was that DADT was costing the taxpayer money in recruiting and retention costs. That was the other financial side. You can bring up finances, and I cannot?  :huh:

garbon

I think Syt does have a good point though Marty. His mini-analysis does line up much of what you have told us about yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on May 09, 2009, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2009, 02:30:00 AM
Go fuck yourself, Syt. My sexuality is constantly used against me in flame wars; people wish AIDS on me and whatnot. Yet I never see you jumping to my defense and denouncing homophobia prevalent in America or Europe.

This is Languish. We insult each other here. If you are going to be upset and turn your nose on that from your ivory tower, perhaps you should seek a different board to post on?

It's that not people are using your sexuality against you. They don't wish AIDS on you and what not because you're gay. They wish AIDS on you and what not because you're an asshole.
People ARE using my sexuality against me. Sure they do it because I'm an asshole but they do use my sexuality against me, in the same way I use Philip V's ethnicity against him, because he is an asshole, too.