News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More Virgin Queens

Started by Delirium, June 17, 2012, 04:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

szmik

Quote3 / Diplomatic Miscue

Message from England:
1-2 - launch Hawkins with colony to Guinea Coast
3 - naval move: Hawkins to SA, colony to Rio de Janeiro; 2g Berwick -> North Sea; 1g Portsmouth -> English Channel

French may intercept at North Sea  :glare:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Solmyr

Regardless of big or small, I will send 2 regulars from the back and 1 merc from Presburg to Poland.

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on July 08, 2012, 04:46:18 PMMy point remains the same, though.  Garbon could not, in fact, have won on turn 1 because SLR doesn't make an appearance until turn 2.  Presumably, if France is holding that, he could win.  I suspect that he doesn't have it.

:lol:

I suppose that is your way of admitting that you were wrong. Does not stop there though. My claim was that garbon COULD have won turn 1 with City State Rebels which he held until his last play (England had two units in Edinburgh at the time) but admitted that it would have been gauche to try. THEN my claim was that garbon CAN win this turn with Scottish Lords Rebel . Fact is that SLR is a MANDATORY event so he does not have to sit on it personally. Lastly I do not have to choose the strength of the Poles UNTIL the Emperor has appointed his force to send (Foreign War rules).

I am trying to be as sarcastic as you are when badgering people but probably failing. Is there any chance that this may teach you to be a little more humble anyway?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

Rather than continue to bat this one back and forth (I'm sure it would be infinite fun), can we get you to post what strength the Poles are at, now?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Was pondering this but it is more fun to send five Poles anyway.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

With the Emperor only sending 3 troops for some inexplicable reason, 5 makes a lot of sense.

Garbon's up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Inexplicable? You want me to empty my defenses? I can always put more troops on the war later if I need to.

Habbaku

You wouldn't be emptying your defenses.  You're not at war with anyone.

In your position, I would've sent the maximum number of troops and a leader there.  Why?  Because you stand a very good chance of ending the war before the Ottomans can really harm you.

Assuming the Ottomans are going to be using their home card to declare war on you, you still have two attempts to end the war before things get hectic.  Assuming you send 8 troops and a leader, you're looking at an average of 3 hits vs. 2 hits on the first resolution.  Whatever other CPs you have remaining from the card may be used to build up troops in Pressburg.

On the second impulse, the Ottomans use their home card to DoW you, then send their army in to Pressburg or Szigetvar (most likely Pressburg, since it's a better road to Vienna).  On your second impulse, the war is likely to be finished off (average of 2+ hits on your remaining dice).  Your army will then be deposited in Vienna, ready to be built up with more mercenaries or even to potentially relieve the siege of Pressburg.

If the Ottomans immediately declare war on you, they have to either send an unprepared army in (leaving Buda bare which is, ah, unlikely because Del != Tamas) or spend an entire impulse building up extra troops (probably via their other home card?).  If he takes the Pressburg Pause option...you're given enough time to end the Polish War, build up more troops and turn the would-be Blitz of Vienna into the Long War--meaning a stalemate that the Ottomans would be fools to prosecute.

Instead, you're now left with 3 troops sitting in Poland wondering when the conflict will end and a looming -1 card marker.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Except if the Polish War goes bad (like we've seen foreign wars do), I'll be a sitting duck. Especially as you decided not to Spanish Road into Hungary, apparently.

I don't have CB access right now but I can send Zrinyi and more units to the war, if it's ok with Del.

Delirium

I would prefer not to say anything in this case, I will leave it to the other players. Changing decisions after the fact is a tricky thing.

Solmyr

You can send more units and leaders to a foreign war later anyway, no? At least I was operating on that assumption.

Delirium

No, you can only build more units on the card, not get free transfers (not even in Spring Deployment I believe). Go ahead and place as many units as you want to fight the Poles now and then we move on.

France is up to decide on interception of England's naval move(s), then make a play of their own.

Solmyr

Ok, the following will go to the war:

Zrinyi+2 from Szigetvar, 1 each from Augsburg and Frankfurt, 2r+2m from Presburg.

Will update CB along with my upcoming impulse.

Solmyr

Btw Habs, I've drawn Conquest of the Philippines from the Protestants. The speed and effectiveness of Spanish support will determine whether I'll need to play it for CP or consider playing it as an event...