Classic X-COM: UFO Defense AAR - "Languish Force"

Started by Tonitrus, June 06, 2012, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 10, 2012, 07:57:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2012, 06:14:50 PM
Well there's the strategy re-make in the works for fall.

The fall?  This fall?!  :w00t:  I didn't know it was going to be out so soon, although I suppose its been in development for a while.

Yo doofus i have link in this very thread to their E3 trailer which posts Oct 9th release.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Stopping plugging modern games in my Classic thread.  :mad:

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2012, 08:43:36 PM
Stopping plugging modern games in my Classic thread.  :mad:

Only plugging the modern game of the classic!

Tonitrus

March continues fairly quietly, including virtually no reported activity for two weeks.

Finally, a scout is spotted on Hawaii, and destroyed, and another is downed later on over Australia...

A new enemy is encountered...Snakes.  Syt takes one down...

This mission is executed quickly, followed by a couple more small ones, such as a scout over Borneo...

Here is CdM taking up Martinus's rear as they work their way around the spacecraft...

Brazen takes down a snake...

sbr on point...

Later, another scout craft is taken down on the Big Island of Hawaii...Funk leads a team that cleans it up nice and neat.  Later a large alien craft is spotted over Canada...

But it evades pursuit, running at high speed over Asia before disappearing somewhere over the Indian Ocean.

And thus ends another good month, without major incident.  Things are starting to get a little too boring....

garbon

Silly Seedster. Marti doesn't like it up the rear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 11, 2012, 01:19:46 PM
Here is CdM taking up Martinus's rear as they work their way around the spacecraft...

Had to go there, didn't you.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2012, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 11, 2012, 01:19:46 PM

Had to go there, didn't you.

I was starting to sense a decline in ratings.  :(

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 11, 2012, 06:35:32 PM
I was starting to sense a decline in ratings.  :(

Not in the retired naval officer demographic!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Finally, things start picking up...an alien craft taken down over central Africa will have to wait...

It seems the aliens figured China wasn't the way to go, when you can set up shot on Maui.

Katmai decides to lead this mission himself, setting up an elite team and making for the Islands.  But en route, a massive alien ship is spotted parked nearby...bases can wait, Katmai leads them in to bag the big prize...

They hit the dirt...the HWP spotting a sectoid inside a barn, and opens it up for katmai to shoot down:

Only one other cyberdisc is spotted outside the craft, the squad sets up to penetrate the battleship...

The HWP leads the way, blasting its way through three sectoids, moving to the second level:

The second level is cleared without incident, and they move on to the command deck.  Luckily, Valmy gets the jump on a sectoid, who appears to be carrying the blaster launcher(that is a very bad thing)....

Valmy resisted a few psi-probe attempts, but 11B4V is not so lucky, being sent into a panic...he'll need to be watched in the future.  Ide, who is carrying our stun weapon, hopes to get in position to take a sectoid leader alive...but preservation of life trumps all, and fahdiz takes down the last hostile...

Katmai and his elite team take down a Sectoid battleship with no casualties, using relatively modest technology.  Not a small feat.

PDH

Oh the things I can study from that!  Put the Inter-base Call of Duty Deathmatch Tourney on hold, ready the science guys!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

As katmai's team heads home from taking down the battleship, CdM's squad is rerouted (they were headed for the downed craft in Africa) to take down the alien base on Maui. 

Inside the base, the squad is separated into two distant teams, and as Lusti takes the lead for his group, is the first to encounter the enemy, and is shot down...

...though Brazen is able to take down the sectoid, and Tamas detonates that Cyberdisc, and another shortly afterwords.

CdM's team is more successful, as they take town two Sectoids in their "Trophy Room":

In the meantime, sbr gets hit by a psychic assault and panics.  CdM's team advances into the Trophy room, and Tyr is killed, though teammate capturedfairy avenges him.

While backing up the HWP to sweep out the area behind the base's command center...CdM starts getting hit by psychic attacks, and drops his rifle, but soon recovers.

sbr starts taking heavy fire from hostiles pouring out of the command center, and heavily wounded, goes berserk...rushing in and killing one...but is soon racked with psi-attacks and is taken under control by the enemy.  CdM himself puts him down:

As the HWP, CdM, Martinus, Viking, and capturedfairy advance into the lower level of the command center, charliebear is suddenly, and quite easily taken over the enemy, dropping a grenade at Viking's feet, killing both herself and Viking.  CdM goes berserk.

Martinus decides that swift action is needed, taking the HWP...they storm the command center as fast as possible, the HWP firing in a missile, which causes a massive chain-reaction explosion...but the team evacs before the base is destroyed.

The mission is a mixed success, but now knowing he is unfit to command missions against Sectoids...Commander katmai must decide whether to send Colonel CdM into retirement, or leave him to only command a desk.   

The updated Roll of Honor

Monoriu
Ed Anger
Siege
Neil
MiM
Razgovory
Hansmeister
Lady Europa
Princesca
Alcibiades
Korea
Peter Wiggin
Admiral Yi*
Merithyn
Barrister Boy*
Malthus - MIA
grumbler
Grey Fox
Berkut
LustInDarkness
Tyr
capturedfairy*
sbr*
Viking

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2012, 07:45:57 PM
I died? I don't even remember being alive. :lol:

You need to pay more attention...you got a brief mention of being KIA defending the citizens of Bombay.

Oh, and you "put down" a traitorous BarristerBoy.  :P

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 11, 2012, 07:21:23 PM

The mission is a mixed success, but now knowing he is unfit to command missions against Sectoids...Commander katmai must decide whether to send Colonel CdM into retirement, or leave him to only command a desk.   

:shifty:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.