Classic X-COM: UFO Defense AAR - "Languish Force"

Started by Tonitrus, June 06, 2012, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Yi controlled by aliens?  How could you tell?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Hehe, funny AAR! Yi, how could you be so easily duped!    ;)

After reading some of this AAR, I got the XCOM bug again. So I downloaded this game from Steam this weekend. Having a blast with it! This must have been one of my most played games. Loving it.   :)

PDH

Yi - "Is it mind control or are these aliens just enhancing the pre-existing notions in the brain?  Are we ever fully in control?"

Tim - "I don't understand!  You are one of them!" (guns him down)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2012, 10:23:44 AM
Yi - "Is it mind control or are these aliens just enhancing the pre-existing notions in the brain?  Are we ever fully in control?"

Tim - "I don't understand!  You are one of them!" (guns him down)

Get back in your lab and hurry up getting those plasma cannons online.  :mad:

Tonitrus

As radar coverage over Asia is still being built, a random patrol picks up a hostile over Mongolia...

It is finally caught by the Interceptor over Iran, and after a brief fight, breaks contact and makes for China...but the Interceptor catches it again, and after an intense dogfight, brings it down over the deserts of western China...

CdM leads his team to comb the desert for the craft....

They eventually make contact with the enemy, Brain takes one down...

...Tim another.  Funk also proves to be as expert a tosser as he is a shooter, flipping a grenade over the entire enemy craft to land one right next to a sectoid...

And even Sgt. Jaron gets in on the turkey shoot...

The mission is an easy success, and results in a slew of promotions...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2012, 11:51:07 AM

Get back in your lab and hurry up getting those plasma cannons online.  :mad:

I demand more scientists...and sammiches
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

Tonitrus

March continues on quietly...once scout is spotted over Russia, but eludes pursuit...later, another is caught on the ground in Siberia.

One of the team getting ready for the ground assault...

BB spots a hostile right by the spacecraft, but cannot finish it, leaving the job to Jaron:

Ide takes point storming the ship...

Viking and Berkut finishing off the last holdouts...

Another textbook mission.

The next two weeks go quietly.  CdM is transferred to Europe to stand up the new Skyranger assault team in Europe, and PdH finally completes and delivers the new plasma beams, making our Interceptors a much more potent threat.

And then March starts turning active....

A massive alien ship is spotted in central China...our interceptors are no match for this craft, except in large numbers.  And likely means the aliens already have established a base among the Chi-Coms.

sbr

Fireblade

Okay guys, we're going to have to stop doing AARs of classic games. I've been obsessively playing FreeCol (which I don't have any problems with  :hmm: ), and I just bought X-Com.

Tonitrus

One of the latest recruits had a Japanese female name...I figured it was ok to use Lettow.  :P

sbr

Quote from: Fireblade on June 10, 2012, 02:49:36 PM
Okay guys, we're going to have to stop doing AARs of classic games. I've been obsessively playing FreeCol (which I don't have any problems with  :hmm: ), and I just bought X-Com.

:D

At least they are cheaper (and usually better) than modern games.  I paid $6 for Colonization and $5 for XCom, I would rather have those two than most of CdM's crappy $60 games.

Tonitrus

Of course, X-COM was forced to let the Very Large craft get away, but one of the Interceptors, equipped with PDH's new plasma beams, bagged a medium support craft...

Malthus downs one target...

...and Jaron picks one off on a rooftop...

While clearing a house, Garbon stumbles on a hostile, taking it down, while Berkut nabs one spotted in the doorway behind it.

Suddenly, BB, the squad leader, gets a funny feeling in his head, and is recalled back to the rear...but before he can be disarmed...

...alas, his fellow countrymen, Malthus and Grey Fox take the sad duty of putting him down.  :(

Jaron, grumbler, and OttoVonBismarck then take the lead in storming the craft...Jaron and grumbler spot a hostile, but fail to kill it before it guns down OvB.

Jaron kills another target up the lift...

Grumbler leading the team onto the second level...

Storming the bridge...Jaron expertly takes down both remaining holdouts.

Unfortunately, before he could do so, Malthus was also taken under alien control; and disappears into the Chinese countryside...

Jaron receives promotion to Captain for his heroics on this mission...