Classic X-COM: UFO Defense AAR - "Languish Force"

Started by Tonitrus, June 06, 2012, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 12, 2012, 12:41:14 AM
If anything, Head Scientist PDH should be throwing a fit that Commander katmai has forgotten to build an alien containment facility until now.  :blush:

Yep, need to start dissecting and interrogating the aliens.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

I've played games before where, just for fun, I'd try and see how well I could do with Human tech alone.  :P

Tonitrus

After the Hawaii invasion had settled down, Capt. FunkMunk led a rookie training squad to clean up that African wreck...uneventful.

But then another terror attack...

FunkMunk volunteers to roll it over with a squad of mostly rookies...a new alien life form is encountered...

It shrugs off a rocket strike from the HWP, but Brain finishes it off.

But it turns out the Skyranger is surrounded by these xenomorphs...

...and it seems poor ulmont is about to have a close encounter....

"Game over, man?"

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 12, 2012, 03:00:26 PM...and it seems poor ulmont is about to have a close encounter....

"Game over, man?"

With 58 TUs left and a laser rifle?  Eat flaming death, Chrysalid scum!

(even as a rookie, I should be able to auto-fire 2 or 3 times at that Chrysalid.  The one behind him will get me as soon as I turn a corner, of course)

Tonitrus

The Chrysalid was, however, apparently unable to zombify ulmont, and he opens up on it...

Subsequent kills come from Wags...

DontSayBanana....

And Funk himself...

Shortly after...ulmont is alone scoping out a house that is believed most likely vacant...but runs into a stealthy snakeman, who opens up on him at point-blank range.  Somehow escaping without injury, ulmont dishes out the death yet again...

The Rocket-HWP showing why you always pack one of those along....

Once again, FunkMunk leads another flawless, bloodless mission, even with a buttload of rookies.

After this mission, Lettow (who was not even along, and only had one mission and no kills) is somehow promoted to Sergeant.  How the hell did that happen?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Iormlund

Crap. I was counting on the Chrisalid Effect to get onboard. :P

Tonitrus

Soon, two scout craft are intercepted and destroyed over North Africa and Spain...then one is brought down over Germany.  Valmy's team investigates...the first sighting of big, green men...

...alas, during this mission, Syt was caught out in the open and killed.

Then...

...Valmy's team responds from Beet Field and hits the dirt inside the city...again, it seems like they landed in a swarm of Chrysalids...

...Valmy takes out the first, Brazen follows up on another...

...but the aliens look to expand their numbers...

A mutoid and Chrysalid are spotted in this convenience store...Valmy gives to order to light it up from long range.

But under heavy fire, the mutoids rush out at X-COM team:

And mutoids don't stay mutoids for long....

But Valmy's cautious tactics pay off, and there are no casualties from this mission.  Valmy also receives promotion to Colonel, and will probably take command of Monoriu Station from Jaron (budging him to XO). 

Inexplicably, Lettow seems to be on the promotion fast-track.  Officers...  :rolleyes:

Tonitrus

Suddenly, an enemy attack force must have slipped under our radar, as out of nowhere, Beet Field comes under attack!

Though previously removed from combat duty, Col. "Jessup" CountDeMoney sees this as his chance at redemption...

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns....deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall."

As could have been, base design had been intentionally setup to create a choke-point between the hangers (the usual point of alien-entry), and the rest of the base.  Then, just keep guys ready to feed that choke-point with proximity grenades...

Our first catch of the day....

The Mutons keep pouring in, and eventually even the HWP is taken down...

But eventually the enemy stops coming, and Col. CdM declares victory over the invaders, with no losses besides the tank.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2012, 08:19:54 AM
Wait, what, I'm dead? :(

Languish Force will live forever, which means you will live forever.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2012, 08:41:16 AM
Languish Force will live forever, which means you will live forever.

True, but Col CdM blew his opportunity to gain immortality by shouting "Broken Arrow!  BROKEN!  ARROW!" during the base overrun. :console:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2012, 08:19:54 AM
Wait, what, I'm dead? :(

You might get a Monitoring Station/Interceptor base named after you.  :P

Since, I don't think I mentioned it...

Two new radar station/interceptor bases have been built over the last couple months, Ed Anger Station in the Andes of South America, and MiM Station on lemur-infested Madagascar.

Also, after many closed door meetings, and much controversy, Col. CdM was transferred to take command of Monoriu Station outside of Hong Kong, nudging Jaron down to fill the vacant XO slot.