News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Obama Approval Poll

Started by derspiess, April 19, 2012, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Obama has done thus far in his presidency?

Approve
35 (56.5%)
Disapprove
19 (30.6%)
Jaronove
8 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 10:17:02 AM
But what if I approve of some things, and disapprove of other, but some of the things I approve of I only mildly approve of, but some of the things I don't approve of I really don't approve of, while still other things that I may approve or disapprove of strongly aren't really that important?

Don't overthink it.  If you can't fairly quickly come up with an overall approval or disapproval of the job he's done, then you Jaronove.

QuoteHow do I balance my mild approval of his handling of Libya with my strong disapproval of his choice in ties?

That's up to you.  To me, a choice in ties would not factor into what kind of job I think he's done as president, but if it's important to you, have at it.

QuoteAnd how does my approval of his historical actions fit into my opinion about his current actions? Should I weigh his decimation of dogs as youth more or less than his friendship with America hating religious fanatics?

Objectively, I don't think any of that has to do with your approval or disapproval of the job he's done as president.  If you're incapable of evaluating him as prez without factoring that stuff in, then so be it.  But the poll question did not ask about historical stuff-- just approval of the job he's done as President.

QuoteThe poll clearly needs a lot more options. Like 60 more.

And results from such a poll would be useless.

edit: Having said that, I may do a Rasmussen-style poll and ask for Strongly/Somewhat Approve/Disapprove, giving 5 possible options including Jaronove.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 10:17:02 AM
But what if I approve of some things, and disapprove of other, but some of the things I approve of I only mildly approve of, but some of the things I don't approve of I really don't approve of, while still other things that I may approve or disapprove of strongly aren't really that important?

How do I balance my mild approval of his handling of Libya with my strong disapproval of his choice in ties?

And how does my approval of his historical actions fit into my opinion about his current actions? Should I weigh his decimation of dogs as youth more or less than his friendship with America hating religious fanatics?

The poll clearly needs a lot more options. Like 60 more.
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2012, 09:53:42 AM
Approval ratings are pretty standard. :huh:

Indeed. And the standard is nothing like this poll.  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2012, 11:05:42 AM

I'm not too sure Languish is designed to fit within a proper public policy analysis matrix.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 26, 2012, 11:08:46 AM

I'm not too sure Languish is designed to fit within a proper public policy analysis matrix.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

How's that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 26, 2012, 11:08:46 AM

I am quite sure that the design had no such purpose.  Luckily, that is irrelevant to the standard approval rating poll format.

In retrospect, though, I realize that, since this poll was intended only to inform Spicey as to the accuracy of his prejudices, it only needs to be as accurate as he feels necessary.  If it is too crude to inform anyone else; well, it wasn't intended to do that.  I withdraw my earlier criticism, and just note that I am sorry to have participated in this exercise.

I would hope that people interested in polling languish for the purposes of informing the poll-takers as well as the poll-creators will create a poll that has some subtlety and, thus, utility.  And I would hope that future languish poll-takers will look at polls like this one and just say, "no thanks; Homey don't play this game."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

The Brain

I don't know. Is the glass half white or half black?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 11:59:24 AMI'd rather watch Putin sing "Blueberry Hill" again

I'd rather watch that than pretty much anything.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2012, 09:09:47 AM
Odd that Obama neglects to offer any suggestions as to where the money will come from.

Pretty sure Obama has places he would suggest.  But that will be an area the Republicans refuse to transfer any money from, like the military or something, and then refuse.  Obama can then blame them and they will blame him and business as usual.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."