News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Obama Approval Poll

Started by derspiess, April 19, 2012, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Obama has done thus far in his presidency?

Approve
35 (56.5%)
Disapprove
19 (30.6%)
Jaronove
8 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
I'm with Garbon.  This seems a lot of sophistic nonsense.

I knew I should've turned off comments.

QuoteI approve.

That's all I asked for-- thank you.

Okay, really, wtf? Sheilbh and I agree that Dgul made ridiculous comments and you use this as an opportunity to act as though languish is your on private domain?  I don't think many of us really care what you asked for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 02:05:33 PM
I don't think that's how most appeal answer approval questions. After all, if you think that realistically that everyone out there would do a shit job (and some perhaps worse, some perhaps slightly better), does that mean you approve of the current person in the role? :hmm:
Approval has to depend on reasonable expectations, and reasonable expectations have to depend on what is actually achievable.  If no person can do better, then probably the current person's performance is a good gauge of what is achievable.  If that's not satisfactory, then you need to change the system rather than the person.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 03:15:04 PM
I don't think that's how most appeal answer approval questions. After all, if you think that realistically that everyone out there would do a shit job (and some perhaps worse, some perhaps slightly better), does that mean you approve of the current person in the role? :hmm:
Approval has to depend on reasonable expectations, and reasonable expectations have to depend on what is actually achievable.  If no person can do better, then probably the current person's performance is a good gauge of what is achievable.  If that's not satisfactory, then you need to change the system rather than the person.

I don't like to settle for less. "Approving" mediocrity because most of the contenders were mediocre is pathetic and certainly not a system I'd like to adopt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 03:19:43 PM
I don't like to settle for less. "Approving" mediocrity because most of the contenders were mediocre is pathetic and certainly not a system I'd like to adopt.
Setting expectations that cannot be achieved can make you feel tough and demanding, but in actuality that would just make you an idiot.  I can be very demanding and set a goal of 10% annual GDP growth, and disapprove of any president who fails it, but what would my disapproval actually mean?  Nothing at all, obviously, since a question that always has one answer is a meaningless question and informs of nothing.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 11:53:05 AM
Approval rate can be misleading.  You can disapprove Obama's performance while never contemplating anything but voting for him again in 2012.

Oddly, I'm the exact opposite of that. 

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 03:15:04 PM

I disapprove of his job because I think he could have done better, if he was a better President.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 03:01:31 PM
Okay, really, wtf?

:hug:

QuoteSheilbh and I agree that Dgul made ridiculous comments and you use this as an opportunity

I think I missed that.  I thought he was talking about the poll.

Quoteto act as though languish is your on private domain? 

I was going to say this thread sorta is my domain, but it doesn't look like we have mod powers any more over threads we start.  Doesn't look like we can do the "poll only-- no comments" thing either, now that I've checked :(

I don't think many of us really care what you asked for.

Meanie  :cry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 03:35:42 PM
Okay, really, wtf?

:hug:

QuoteSheilbh and I agree that Dgul made ridiculous comments and you use this as an opportunity

I think I missed that.  I thought he was talking about the poll.

Quoteto act as though languish is your on private domain? 

I was going to say this thread sorta is my domain, but it doesn't look like we have mod powers any more over threads we start.  Doesn't look like we can do the "poll only-- no comments" thing either, now that I've checked :(

I don't think many of us really care what you asked for.

Meanie  :cry:
Well if it helps, it appears Raz posted that he wanted to know what you wanted. :hug:

Admiral Yi

It's very easy, as Speesh pointed out, if you break it into discrete decisions and agree or disagree with the choices made.

It's not a grade for results, which it sounds like most of you whingers are trying to force it into.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
I'm with Garbon.  This seems a lot of sophistic nonsense.

I knew I should've turned off comments.

QuoteI approve.

That's all I asked for-- thank you.

Okay, really, wtf? Sheilbh and I agree that Dgul made ridiculous comments and you use this as an opportunity to act as though languish is your on private domain?  I don't think many of us really care what you asked for.
I know :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Given what Obama had to work with, he's done a good job; I approve.

There's room for improvement, but he performed about how I expected.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger checklist:

Pro:

Had Osama killed
Killed a lot of brown people with drones

Con:

Doesn't know when to pull out of Karzai's butt
Michelle Obama's health food shit shrunk the size of Mars bars. BOO! HISS.

Slight Pro. Especially for a Democrat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I don't think there's been a President that has accomplished as much as he has with as little as he has had to work with in the last 60 years.

Hell, even Reagan wasn't served such shit sandwich at the beginning.

APPROVED

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2012, 03:34:45 PM
I disapprove of his job because I think he could have done better, if he was a better President.

That's pretty much exactly where I am.  I think he could have been a great president, had he reined in his ego long enough to get some experience in how Washington worked before he made his bid.  As it is, he is a wasted opportunity.  He is a smart guy, and a likable guy, but he is in way over his head and, thus, a poor president.

As disappointed in him as a president as I am, I get the vibes he will be a worse ex-president, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2012, 06:15:29 PM
Michelle Obama's health food shit shrunk the size of Mars bars. BOO! HISS.
They're trying to ban Snickers duo and kingsize chocolate bars over here too.  Bastards <_<
Let's bomb Russia!