News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Obama Approval Poll

Started by derspiess, April 19, 2012, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Obama has done thus far in his presidency?

Approve
35 (56.5%)
Disapprove
19 (30.6%)
Jaronove
8 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

DGuller

I actually sort of agree with Berkut and grumbler.  Until Teddy croaked, Obama definitely had a window of opportunity.  He didn't have nearly as much power as implied by the nominal super-majority, but still with some skill he could've made better use of what he had.  Unfortunately, that window of opportunity coincided with the learning curve that didn't have to be there had he been more experienced.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2012, 06:15:29 PM
Michelle Obama's health food shit shrunk the size of Mars bars. BOO! HISS.
They're trying to ban Snickers duo and kingsize chocolate bars over here too.  Bastards <_<

At least you have decent Jaffa cakes over there. I tried Aldi's brand. Total meh.  :glare:

Me? I have to spend 3-5 bucks for a package.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2012, 06:15:29 PM
Michelle Obama's health food shit shrunk the size of Mars bars. BOO! HISS.
They're trying to ban Snickers duo and kingsize chocolate bars over here too.  Bastards <_<

First they came for the jumbo Mars bars, but I said nothing.
Then they came for the king-sized Snickers, but I said nothing.
Then they came for the double-pack Reeses cups, but I said nothing.
Finally they came for my party bag of Kit Kats, and there were no more bloated confections left to eat. :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Meh, Reagan always believed if you were gonna get it done, get it done the first year.

I do, however, blame him for letting the Democratic leadership on the Hill to run around like a bunch of teenyboppers with the parents out of town.  Should've punched Reid and Pelosi in the face.  You leave Congress alone to its own devices at your peril.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2012, 06:38:48 PM
Meh, Reagan always believed if you were gonna get it done, get it done the first year.

I do, however, blame him for letting the Democratic leadership on the Hill to run around like a bunch of teenyboppers with the parents out of town.  Should've punched Reid and Pelosi in the face.  You leave Congress alone to its own devices at your peril.

Obama did okay getting stuff through at the start, major health care reform plus a massive stimulus. He probably didn't dream of becoming president so he could push through a massive stimulus bill that kept the economy from collapsing but still condemned his term in office to stagnation and high levels of unemployment, but such is life when you follow GWB as president.

Whether he wins reelection or not, I think we have seen the last of major Obama legislation. These days you have a small window at the start of your term, and then the opposition derangement syndrome sets in and blocks everything. But then I don't think Romney plans on even trying to pass any major legislation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Following GWB caused stagnation and lingering unemployment or the stimulus bill did?

:unsure:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2012, 07:32:15 PM
Following GWB caused stagnation and lingering unemployment or the stimulus bill did?

:unsure:

He inherited a train wreck that wasn't easy to get back on the tracks and up to full speed. Getting us back to half speed is an achievement, but in the land of Ricky Bobby, we want to go fast.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Not great, but on the good side of OK, certainly better than the alternative.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

The only things I cared about on Barry's electoral agenda he did not do.

Accordingly, I disapprove.

Is he worse than Bush?  No.  I rate him about equal to Booshitler.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 11:53:05 AM
Approval rate can be misleading.  You can disapprove Obama's performance while never contemplating anything but voting for him again in 2012.  I certainly think that Obama mishandled the Republican insanity unleashed on him, and failed to use it against them.  That made us all worse off, because his failure enabled the most destructive elements of our political system.

Plus one billion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

So I'm guessing at this point we pretty much have all the votes in.  Based on recent discussions here, my expectations were 70+% for "approve", so I was a little surprised that we ended up with only 62%.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

With Obama "slow-jamming" student loans at UNC on Late Night, expect a bounce with the hipsters.

For all you Euros--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 11:10:36 AM
With Obama "slow-jamming" student loans at UNC on Late Night, expect a bounce with the hipsters.

For all you Euros--

That was painful to watch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 11:45:32 AM

For all you Euros--

Want painful? Wait until Mittens does his opening monologue on SNL.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 11:55:00 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 11:45:32 AM

For all you Euros--

Want painful? Wait until Mittens does his opening monologue on SNL.

That would also be painful-- at least it will if he just comes on & gives a stupid speech about legislation he wants to push through congress.  I'd rather watch Putin sing "Blueberry Hill" again than watch either of them do that on what it supposed to be a comedy show.

Now if they did it right, like Janet Reno's epic SNL appearance where she broke through a brick wall, we might have something.