News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish Obama Approval Poll

Started by derspiess, April 19, 2012, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Obama has done thus far in his presidency?

Approve
35 (56.5%)
Disapprove
19 (30.6%)
Jaronove
8 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2012, 12:52:38 PM
Disapprove.  Big time.  Can hardly stand to look at the guy these days.  But most of the things I disapprove of the Republicans will also do so it does not really matter much.

This.

Although for the rest of the shysters, I'd say I'm disappointed but not surprised by Obama's inability to get even his own party on board.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 12:51:08 PM
What did you want to find out? 

First, I wanted to find out if the 'final' results (poll voting here usually tapers off after a couple days) match the % I had in my mind based on conversations involving Obama.

Secondly, I wanted to see how much the Republic of Languishia results skew from numbers inside the US. 

Just pure curiosity.  I don't really have a secret agenda here.

QuoteThat the board heavily frequented by foreigners would approve of Obama when over a candidate who's party is deeply out of synch with the rest of the industrialized world?

It's not about Romney, Dubya, or anyone else.  How hard is that for you guys to get through your heads?  It's about whether or not you approve of the job Obama has done. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 01:07:08 PM
QuoteThat the board heavily frequented by foreigners would approve of Obama when over a candidate who's party is deeply out of synch with the rest of the industrialized world?

It's not about Romney, Dubya, or anyone else.  How hard is that for you guys to get through your heads?  It's about whether or not you approve of the job Obama has done. 

Some people are unable to think without comparisons...analogies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

To some extent, approval must be relative.  In order to have a realistic assessment of someone's performance, you have to compare it against a realistic benchmark.  How likely is it that somebody else, from the same or another party, could've done a better job?

garbon

I don't think that's how most appeal answer approval questions. After all, if you think that realistically that everyone out there would do a shit job (and some perhaps worse, some perhaps slightly better), does that mean you approve of the current person in the role? :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 01:07:08 PM

You can't say someone is good or bad without an implicit comparison to something else or else the statement is meaningless.  If I were to say "Derspeiss is a good person", I am in fact saying that he is good in relation to my standard for human beings which is informed by my observation of other human beings.  While if I say "the sun is a good sun" it is not really that meaningful since I've never lived under another sun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 02:05:33 PM
I don't think that's how most appeal answer approval questions. After all, if you think that realistically that everyone out there would do a shit job (and some perhaps worse, some perhaps slightly better), does that mean you approve of the current person in the role? :hmm:

Yes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

I'm with Garbon.  This seems a lot of sophistic nonsense.

I approve.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Also not sure how I turned "people" into "appeal" :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 02:46:18 PM
Also not sure how I turned "people" into "appeal" :blush:

By removing one "e" and one "o", then adding in two "a"s.  After that you mixed all the letters up.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 02:02:15 PM
To some extent, approval must be relative.  In order to have a realistic assessment of someone's performance, you have to compare it against a realistic benchmark.  How likely is it that somebody else, from the same or another party, could've done a better job?

I'm simply asking if people here approve or disapprove of the job Obama has done.  If someone *has* to compare him to Bush or other past presidents in order to formulate an opinion, fine.  But to me it would come down to whether the president has advanced policies I agree with and think are important, how he has handled unexpected events, whether he has kept certain campaign promises, etc.

What I really don't understand is comparing him to Romney or other Republicans that have not held the office of President.  To me, that sounds like rationalizing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
I'm with Garbon.  This seems a lot of sophistic nonsense.

I knew I should've turned off comments.

QuoteI approve.

That's all I asked for-- thank you.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2012, 11:53:05 AM
Approval rate can be misleading.  You can disapprove Obama's performance while never contemplating anything but voting for him again in 2012. 

Indeed. Voted disapprove, sure as hell won't vote for Romney though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

I mildly disapprove of his job performance, but not enough to vote "disapprove" so I voted Jaronove.

Moar subtlety in polls, plz.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!