2012 US Presidential Election Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:40:49 PM
I though Mitch Daniels was Boosh' OMB director.  This guy too?  What office does he hold?
Daniels was between 2001-03, Portman 06-07.  He's now Senator in Ohio.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I dunno, that chick guv from South Carolina seems to have a sharp head on her shoulders.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2012, 07:05:54 PM
I dunno, that chick guv from South Carolina seems to have a sharp head on her shoulders.
She campaigned very hard for him before the primary.  But I think she's got bad ratings in SC and in the primary more Republicans said they were motivated to vote against Romney after her endorsement than for him.

I think she maybe had more of a chance last year.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Well, it is South Carolina.  Not exactly the most thriving state.  Then again, you can only work with what you've got.

But I like her, she actually seems to know her shit, as opposed to other chick governors we know.

Caliga

Also, she's a Hindoo, so that would help them with the whole 'connect with minorities' thingy they're always trying and failing pathetically at.

A Jindal-Haley ticket would have been neat.  Slurpees for some, miniature American flags for others.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2012, 07:17:52 PM
Well, it is South Carolina.  Not exactly the most thriving state.  Then again, you can only work with what you've got.

But I like her, she actually seems to know her shit, as opposed to other chick governors we know.

She does have some baggage. There are have been unproven allegations that she had an extramarital affair. She ruffled some feathers by kicking off a high powered female executive from the USC board of trustees. All together, there are some superficial similarities with Sarah Palin (young, inexperienced, diva-ish) While she does seem to have her shit together, I think the Romney team is going to play it as safe and boring (and opposite of Palin) as possible.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2012, 07:05:54 PM

I have no idea.  This is kind of embarrassing, but I pay almost no attention to local politics, since nothing I do matters, and it would only make me upset if I did pay attention.  I actually don't even know her name.  In fact, I didn't know we had a female governor.  I mean, I didn't vote for her, so who gives a shit?  (I was aware we had a governor.  I wish we had a military governor.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

QuoteIn 2004, she ran for the South Carolina House of Representatives for a district in Lexington County. She faced incumbent representative Larry Koon in the Republican primary. Koon, who had served since 1975, was the longest-serving member of the House. In the primary election, Haley won 40% of the vote (2,247 votes) to Koon's 42% (2,354 votes), thus forcing a runoff.[19] Her platform was anti-tax and fiscally conservative with an emphasis on education.[20] In the runoff, Haley won with 54.7% (2,928 votes) of the total. She then ran unopposed for the House seat; no Democrat even filed in this heavily Republican district.

Huh.

QuoteThe South Carolina House of Representatives is the lower house of the South Carolina General Assembly, the upper house being the South Carolina Senate. It consists of 124 Representatives elected to two year terms at the same time as US Congressional elections.

Uh-huh.

QuoteNo person is eligible for a seat in the Senate or House of Representatives who, at the time of his election, is not a duly qualified elector under this Constitution in the district in which he may be chosen. Senators must be at least twenty-five and Representatives at least twenty-one years of age. A candidate for the Senate or House of Representatives must be a legal resident of the district in which he is a candidate at the time he files for the office. No person who has been convicted of a felony under state or federal law or convicted of tampering with a voting machine, fraudulent registration or voting, bribery at elections, procuring or offering to procure votes by bribery, voting more than once at elections, impersonating a voter, or swearing falsely at elections/taking oath in another's name, or who has pled guilty or nolo contendere to these offenses, is eligible to serve as a member of the Senate or the House of Representatives. However, notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, this prohibition does not apply to a person who has been pardoned under state or federal law or to a person who files for public office fifteen years or more after the completion date of service of the sentence, including probation and parole time, nor shall any person, serving in office prior to the ratification of this provision, be required to vacate the office to which he is elected. (1966 (54) 2813; 1967 (55) 39; 1997 Act No. 3; 1999 Act No. 12.)

You said felony.  No takebacks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2012, 07:29:15 PM
Also, she's a Hindoo, so that would help them with the whole 'connect with minorities' thingy they're always trying and failing pathetically at.

A Jindal-Haley ticket would have been neat.  Slurpees for some, miniature American flags for others.

Sikh Indian ancestry. She's converted to christianity.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2012, 03:30:10 AM

Doesn't keep her fellow Republicans from calling her a rag head.  http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=1992209084141467&act=post&pid=11860406103619087
QuoteWith a bead of sweat rolling down the side of his face outside a Columbia bar, Republican S.C. Sen. Jake Knotts called Lexington Rep. Nikki Haley, an Indian-American Republican woman running for governor, a "raghead" several times while explaining how he believed she was hiding her true religion from voters.

"She's a f#!king raghead," Knotts said.

He later clarified his statement. He did not mean to use the F-word.

Knotts says he believed Haley has been set up by a network of Sikhs and was programmed to run for governor of South Carolina by outside influences in foreign countries. He claims she is hiding her religion and he wants the voters to know about it.

"We got a raghead in Washington; we don't need one in South Carolina," Knotts said more than once. "She's a raghead that's ashamed of her religion trying to hide it behind being Methodist for political reasons."

Republicans are already suspicious of Romney's Religion.  He doesn't someone to further inflame conservative bigotry and conspiracy theories.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Well duh.  Do you think a professed non-Christian could possibly be elected in South Carolina? :)

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 18, 2012, 05:16:51 AM
Well duh.  Do you think a professed non-Christian could possibly be elected in South Carolina? :)

it's just hindu /= sikh
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I know that, and I'd heard that about her before, but forgotten.  Sue me. :)

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 06:29:52 PM
I think it's a worry for Romney.  He doesn't want to be constantly upstaged and have the base more enthused by his VP than him.  Palin casts a long shadow.
The problem is that he can't have a VP more boring than him.  Dead people are not able to assume the presidency immediately, which is Mitt's top requirement.

DGuller

That doesn't mean much.  Barrack Obama claims to be a Christian as well.