2012 US Presidential Election Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 06:43:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:40:49 PM
I though Mitch Daniels was Boosh' OMB director.  This guy too?  What office does he hold?
Daniels was between 2001-03, Portman 06-07.  He's now Senator in Ohio.

He was also my House district's representative until 2005.  Nice guy, but pretty much your typical boring Ohio politician.  Wouldn't excite anyone but should please the GOP base without bringing much baggage.  He's well-liked enough in Ohio that as a VP candidate he may deliver the state to Romney, which is pretty significant.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Would being a sikh really be that much of an obstacle to getting elected in the US?  I mean - it's not the same as muslim.

We had a sikh premier at one point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 01:49:19 PM
Would being a sikh really be that much of an obstacle to getting elected in the US?  I mean - it's not the same as muslim.

Not being a Christian is the main thing (well ok wearing a turban will freak people out, Muslims (the men anyway) can at least dress the part).  But we already elect Muslims to office so I would think a Sikh would be fine.  It depends on the constituency of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2012, 01:39:12 PMHe's well-liked enough in Ohio that as a VP candidate he may deliver the state to Romney, which is pretty significant.
I do always wonder how much impact VP picks have in modern politics when local machines matter a lot less than the national campaign.  Who do you think's the last VP to deliver their home state?  I think it could be LBJ.  Clinton won Tennessee (Gore didn't) but I think that's more because of him than Gore.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Ohio's a swing state(cue joke about Ed's parties) so a couple percentage points could be huge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2012, 02:06:05 PM
Ohio's a swing state(cue joke about Ed's parties) so a couple percentage points could be huge.
Yeah.  But in an age of media driven national campaigns do favourite son candidates give even a couple of percent?
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Well, I don't know. But certainly VP selection does has an effect, as our Languish contingent of Obama voter/critics show. A VP candidate who is already well known and regarded in his state should have more positive impact there than elsewhere.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2012, 02:45:32 PM
Well, I don't know. But certainly VP selection does has an effect, as our Languish contingent of Obama voter/critics show.
:lol: I suspect Palin is the first VP since LBJ to have had any impact on the final result.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2012, 02:11:40 PM
Yeah.  But in an age of media driven national campaigns do favourite son candidates give even a couple of percent?

I think so.  Tennessee was one of only three southern states that Clinton took both times (one of the others being Arkansas).  Sure, Gore lost Tennessee in 2000, but by that point Gore and his home state had pretty much grown apart.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2012, 02:11:40 PM

I think so, definitely.  Bob Barr's campaign did much better in Georgia in '08 than anywhere else.  Ditto Gingrich in the primary here.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that (favorite sons) happening in other states.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 01:49:19 PM

A male practicing Sikh-- yes.  No dude with a headwrap is ever going to get elected to a national office here.

A female ethnic Sikh who converted to Christianity and doesn't really look that ethnic at all-- no problem.

I honestly first heard that Nikki Haley was Indian the night she got elected-- I assumed that meant *American* Indian when I heard it.

Eddie Teach

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2012, 04:03:55 PM
ethnic Sikh

Is that a thing?  :huh:

I would guess so, if people are still calling her a Sikh.  Maybe I should have said non-practicing Sikh.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2012, 04:03:55 PM
ethnic Sikh

Is that a thing?  :huh:
Yeah.  Some Sikhs and Jews tried to get Judaism and Sikhism listed as an ethnic as well as a religious identity on the census.  I think the Sikhs historically were similarly not into converting people, their view is that everyone's got their own beliefs and should be left to get on with it.  I could be wrong but I think they're mostly Punjabi or of Punjabi descent and Sikhism's to some extent the beliefs of that people.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

You know, I think we can put the whole Romney-is-cruel-to-animals thing behind us. The Romney's obviously love animals: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romneys-dancing-horse-competes/story?id=16162590&singlePage=true#.T49HOJpWpYj