News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breastfeeding in public places

Started by Martinus, February 25, 2012, 03:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your position of women breastfeeding their children in public?

Women should be allowed to breastfeed their children pretty much everywhere
35 (66%)
Women should be allowed to breastfeed their children in some public places, but this should not happen e.g. in restaurants, churches etc.
12 (22.6%)
Women should only be allowed to breastfeed their children in private places (e.g. toilets, privacy of their homes etc.)
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 11, 2012, 05:49:49 PM
I don't especially care to see it or find it sexual in any way, but there's no cause to ban it.  I almost never see it, anyway.

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2012, 03:47:50 PM
Is any of this serious enough to actually use to power of the state to ban it though?

Hell, I'd like to see people stop doing all of the above in public, including wearing flip-flops. But banning it? Nah.

Well it is actually now the opposite, kids. Since the creation of this histrionic thread, it is now a right in Seattle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2012, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 09:18:10 AM
... it is now a right in Seattle.

Good for Seattle.

I don't think so. Seems like unnecessary intrusion by the government. If a restaurant doesn't want to let women sit around with their boob out, I don't see why the gov should forbid that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Doesn't matter what Seattle does. It gave us grunge. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:32:31 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2012, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 09:18:10 AM
... it is now a right in Seattle.

Good for Seattle.

I don't think so. Seems like unnecessary intrusion by the government. If a restaurant doesn't want to let women sit around with their boob out, I don't see why the gov should forbid that.

Just like the government should not prevent shop owners from deciding not to provide goods and services to blacks, gays and others a shop owner might choose to avoid having in their place of business.....

Or is it just ok when someone other than you is being adversely affected?

I name you Marti.  :P

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 01:37:31 PM
Just like the government should not prevent shop owners from deciding not to provide goods and services to blacks, gays and others a shop owner might choose to avoid having in their place of business.....

Yes because clearly asking a breast-feeding mother to cover up, use the restroom or step outside is the same as discrimination.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:39:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 01:37:31 PM

Yes because clearly asking a breast-feeding mother to cover up, use the restroom or step outside is the same as discrimination.

Because clearly asking a black person to use a different washroom or asking them to sit in a different part of the restaurant is the same as... oh wait, yes they are all forms of discrimination.  Its just that one doesnt and will never affect you so its ok.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 01:41:34 PM
Because clearly asking a black person to use a different washroom or asking them to sit in a different part of the restaurant is the same as... oh wait, yes they are all forms of discrimination.  Its just that one doesnt and will never affect you so its ok.

It isn't at all the same, even though you'd like to pretend you know all about discrimination. :rolleyes:

Breastfeeding is an action taken and not necessarily a necessary one. In contrast, a person can't actually stop being black (see Jackson, Michael).  Asking a mother who chooses to breastfeed her baby in a restaurant to cover up or use the restroom for the duration of said activity isn't discrimination.

Personally doesn't really matter as those breastfeeding with their boob exposed doesn't really affect me (though seems a little boorish) but that's a far cry from becoming a legal right. :D

edit: Well I guess what I quoted you saying is all forms of discrimination but that's not at all the same as the breastfeeding issue.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 01:41:34 PM

It isn't at all the same, even though you'd like to pretend you know all about discrimination. :rolleyes:

Breastfeeding is an action taken and not necessarily a necessary one. In contrast, a person can't actually stop being black (see Jackson, Michael).  Asking a mother who chooses to breastfeed her baby in a restaurant to cover up or use the restroom for the duration of said activity isn't discrimination.

Personally doesn't really matter as those breastfeeding with their boob exposed doesn't really affect me (though seems a little boorish) but that's a far cry from becoming a legal right. :D

edit: Well I guess what I quoted you saying is all forms of discrimination but that's not at all the same as the breastfeeding issue.

If you are breastfeeding your baby, breastfeeding said baby is in fact a necessary action. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Maybe the Crown should come back when it's sober.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 12, 2012, 02:00:24 PM

Seriously. Not really sure what that tautology has to do with anything.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 02:01:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 12, 2012, 02:00:24 PM

Seriously. Not really sure what that tautology has to do with anything.

You suggested that breastfeeding was not necessary.  I disagree.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:53:48 PM

I am not pretending.  I believe it is you who isnt entirely clear on what is and what is not discrimination.

Being married to a gay companion (or anyone) isnt a necessary action.  Staying in a hotel room with your gay companion (or anyone) isnt a necessary action.  The list goes on.  Suffice to say if human rights law protected only those engaging in a "necessary" action we could do away with a lot of legal protections a lot of people currently enjoy.

Solmyr

So if I'm in a restaurant and I have to pee RIGHT NOW, it's discrimination if I'm asked to use the restroom and not the restaurant floor?

Jacob

Quote from: Solmyr on April 12, 2012, 02:13:17 PM
So if I'm in a restaurant and I have to pee RIGHT NOW, it's discrimination if I'm asked to use the restroom and not the restaurant floor?

No, but if you're in a restaurant and your child is hungry but you're told your child has to go eat in the washroom, it is.