News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breastfeeding in public places

Started by Martinus, February 25, 2012, 03:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your position of women breastfeeding their children in public?

Women should be allowed to breastfeed their children pretty much everywhere
35 (66%)
Women should be allowed to breastfeed their children in some public places, but this should not happen e.g. in restaurants, churches etc.
12 (22.6%)
Women should only be allowed to breastfeed their children in private places (e.g. toilets, privacy of their homes etc.)
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on February 25, 2012, 06:14:21 PM
sunflower seeds
Speaking of, I was at Target today and saw that they now make 'SunButter' (i.e. sunflower seed butter). :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2012, 10:16:57 AM
What feels weird is when you make eye contact with the mother.  :lol:
Why would you be looking at her eyes?  :huh:

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2012, 11:56:25 AM
Martinus fails at humor, then whines when people don't "get it"?  Okay.
Meh, I thought the joke was obvious, and I thought that people were re-trolling Martinus when they appeared to fail to get the joke.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2012, 06:47:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2012, 11:56:25 AM
Martinus fails at humor, then whines when people don't "get it"?  Okay.
Meh, I thought the joke was obvious, and I thought that people were re-trolling Martinus when they appeared to fail to get the joke.

Was it a Polish joke?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2012, 06:43:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2012, 10:16:57 AM
What feels weird is when you make eye contact with the mother.  :lol:
Why would you be looking at her eyes?  :huh:

Slavs.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2012, 06:18:49 PM
Quote from: Jaron on February 25, 2012, 06:14:21 PM
sunflower seeds
Speaking of, I was at Target today and saw that they now make 'SunButter' (i.e. sunflower seed butter). :huh:

That'd be margarine? Or do they add them to real butter?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Since breastfeeding in public is less about the "crazy cunts" than their kids who kinda don't have all that much in the way of control over their bodies...

Sure, let's lock all kids away until they're toilet-trained (BTW, Marty, don't look now, but that baby at the next table just took a dump, right next to where you're eating your steak... in their diaper).  Let's see how many more Martinuses that makes.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 26, 2012, 08:15:03 AM
Sure, let's lock all kids away until they're toilet-trained

That might just be Marty's problem anyway.  A therapist would be able to tell.

MadImmortalMan

I put this in the same category as kissing in public/PDA. If you don't like that, you will likely be against breastfeeding too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 26, 2012, 08:15:03 AM
Since breastfeeding in public is less about the "crazy cunts" than their kids who kinda don't have all that much in the way of control over their bodies...

Because it certainly is the only way to feed them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Looks like Martinus is crossing Seattle off his "Speedopalooza 2012 Tour" list:

QuoteBreastfeeding is now a civil right in Seattle
By Isolde Raftery, msnbc.com

It is now illegal for Seattle businesses to ask nursing mothers to stop, cover up or leave the premises, KING 5 News reported.

The Seattle City Council unanimously approved a measure Monday that makes breastfeeding a civil right. Although Washington state had enacted a similar measure in 2009, advocates said this measure would allow the city's Office for Civil Rights to enforce the law.

"The bottom line is, it's a health issue for our community," Councilmember Bruce Harrell said, according to King 5 News. Harrell sponsored the bill. "It's very clear the benefits of breastfeeding. What we want to do is move the needle in terms of community acceptance of breastfeeding by having our local civil office of rights enforcing the law."

Harrell argued that breastfeeding could reduce infant mortality rates among minorities. In Seattle, American Indian and African Americans have infant mortality rates two times higher than other groups, according to the city's human services department.

Other states have also given protections to breastfeeding moms. In New York, infants may accompany their mothers to a corrections facility if they are 1-year-old or younger. Virginian mothers may breastfeed on any land owned by the state. In Maryland, breastfeeding equipment is exempt from sales tax.

Brazen

Do it if you have to, but for God's sake show some appropriate SHAME. Woman on the train with boob and baby head all concealed under  the baby blanket? You're doing it right.

11B4V

:lol: Just heard this on the radio on the way home. I guess it is a civil right for guys to watch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

They better make public urination a civil right too. Sometime you just gotta go. Stupid judgemental starbucks staff <_<

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2012, 09:37:37 AM
They better make public urination a civil right too. Sometime you just gotta go. Stupid judgemental starbucks staff <_<

:P

:lol: "C'mon, officer, don't talk--you'll make it climb back up."