News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Retard kings of old

Started by Threviel, February 23, 2012, 03:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

The newborn swedish princess got me thinking.

What happened in the old days if an heir had physical defects or perhaps had Downs syndrom? Did they just not survive childhood or were they killed?

Octavian

Quote from: Threviel on February 23, 2012, 03:37:48 AM
The newborn swedish princess got me thinking.

What happened in the old days if an heir had physical defects or perhaps had Downs syndrom? Did they just not survive childhood or were they killed?

Thew were sent to Austria to be raised by the Hapsburg.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Martinus

There were many kings who were kinda soft in the head. In such cases, usually the power rested with the regent or the royal council.

Phillip V

Threviel

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 04:39:00 AM
There were many kings who were kinda soft in the head. In such cases, usually the power rested with the regent or the royal council.

We all know that there were lots of more or less crazy and unstable royals. But what happened to the heirs with a few more or less chromosomes?

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on February 23, 2012, 05:01:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 04:39:00 AM

We all know that there were lots of more or less crazy and unstable royals. But what happened to the heirs with a few more or less chromosomes?

Then you had Carlos II of Spain, posterboy of why inbreeding for generations is a huge no-no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_II_of_Spain

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2012, 05:35:40 AM
Then you had Carlos II of Spain, posterboy of why inbreeding for generations is a huge no-no.

I remember hearing about the Spaniard who was sooo retarded....

that the other Spaniards noticed!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2012, 07:42:59 AM

That family tree is one big circle.... :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2012, 10:17:27 AM

Royals: the only people who go to family reunions to pick up chicks.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

The Spanish Habsburgs were huge on the inbreeding. Carlos II had no external genetic inputs into his gene pool from around 100 years before he was born or so.

Drakken

Carlos II's story is more tragic than anything. The guy couldn't even chew his food.

To answer OP's questions, I know of no monarch in the Western world at least, in the past, that was plain autistic or suffering from a child syndrome. Times were so harsh back then that these were usually dying in infancy or casted aside, like Philip II of Spain's Don Carlos, who was a psychopathic manchild.

The only truely moronic monarch from childhood that reigned that comes to my mind, aside from Carlos Dos, is Feodor I and Ivan V of Russia. These tended to pullulate in the Ottoman Empire, though, like Mad Ibrahim, Mad Mustafa, and even Murad IV, but these were because of extreme living in the Cage at Topkapi palace all their lives, fearing to be strangled any time by the Sultan.

Physical defects, these were usually ignored as long as he/she was sane in mind and spirit. I mean, have you seen Charles Quint's jaw in monoliths?

Martinus

Quote from: Drakken on February 23, 2012, 10:51:59 AM
Physical defects, these were usually ignored as long as he/she was sane in mind and spirit. I mean, have you seen Charles Quint's jaw in monoliths?

I think the Byzantines were the exception, right, as the Basileois, being the Successor to the Apostles, could have no physical deformities.

Incidentally, does being a dwarf or a hunchback remove you from Byzantine inheritance in CK2? :P

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 11:17:57 AM
Incidentally, does being a dwarf or a hunchback remove you from Byzantine inheritance in CK2? :P

Not that I know. Now that could be a good idea for a minimod, including excluding brothers from the succession by blinding them or mutilating them.  :hmm:

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, every time I go to that page, I :blink: at his family tree even though I've seen it before and know what the deal was, etc.

Drakken

Truth be told, I think there's more to Carlos II lack of mental and physical health than simple result of inbreeding, although it surely didn't help.

Compare with the Lagid dynasty in Egypt, whose inbreeding was much worse, literally among siblings and other close parents. And yet most of the known defects in the Ptolemies were only physical and most of them could rule on their own - if they survived the cutthroat nature of their family relationships.

QuoteA number of the Ptolemaic dynasty are described as being extremely obese, whilst sculptures and coins reveal prominent eyes and swollen necks. Familial Graves' disease could explain the swollen necks and eye prominence (exophthalmos), although this is unlikely to occur in the presence of morbid obesity.

In view of the familial nature of these findings, members of this dynasty likely suffered from a multi-organ fibrotic condition such as Erdheim–Chester disease or a familial multifocal fibrosclerosis where thyroiditis, obesity and ocular proptosis may have all occurred concurrently.[6]