And we're back!

Main Menu

Retard kings of old

Started by Threviel, February 23, 2012, 03:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Most of it is understandable if you know German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Sahib on February 23, 2012, 04:25:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:23:16 PM
Lol, I googled "Cleopatra VII modern reconstruction" ('cause I want to see where the photo is from, and determine if there's a good reason why that necklace is so badly photoshopped on), and one of the first hits is this about.com article:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=What%20Did%20The%20Julio%20Claudians%20Really%20Look%20Like%20%20Reconstructions-%20Joe%20Geranio

Caligula is the only one in this who is remotely hot.

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2012, 05:09:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 04:39:45 PM
I understood "Swedish Kingdom" and "therefore."

I imagine Fabrikdirektor means something like factory boss.  The "Chips" part might refer to microchips.

It refers to potato chips, actually. Specifically, the Swedish Estrella brand. Which apparently the princess was named after.

Drakken

Quote from: Solmyr on February 25, 2012, 06:24:01 AM
It refers to potato chips, actually. Specifically, the Swedish Estrella brand. Which apparently the princess was named after.

The baby was named after the wife of Folke Bernadotte.

Fireblade

So is that Swedish princess with the big tits still single?

Drakken

Quote from: Fireblade on February 25, 2012, 09:36:25 AM
So is that Swedish princess with the big tits still single?

Nope. Rather than go with the Princess Margaret schtick, she sticks with the millionnaire businessman type.

Siege

Quote from: Sahib on February 23, 2012, 04:25:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:23:16 PM
Lol, I googled "Cleopatra VII modern reconstruction" ('cause I want to see where the photo is from, and determine if there's a good reason why that necklace is so badly photoshopped on), and one of the first hits is this about.com article:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=What%20Did%20The%20Julio%20Claudians%20Really%20Look%20Like%20%20Reconstructions-%20Joe%20Geranio

That's crap. You cannot tell skin and eye color from coins and sculptures.
I doubt romans had clear eyes, and I doubt Cleapathra was that dark skinned.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Fortunately, there are historical descriptions.  What do you mean by "Clear eyes"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I'm pretty sure Cleopatra is described as "tawny," yeah.  I've seen white people that tanned.  Chick did live in Egypt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on February 25, 2012, 10:45:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Cleopatra is described as "tawny," yeah.  I've seen white people that tanned.  Chick did live in Egypt.

Cleopatra was Macedonian, and Macedonians were white back then, before the slavic and later ottoman invasions.
Have you seen white people in tropical countries?
They don't become dark because sun exposion.
Only mixing with the locals change your descendance's skin colour, like the spaniards did in mexico.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2012, 08:12:11 PM

Cleopatra was Macedonian, and Macedonians were white back then, before the slavic and later ottoman invasions.
Only mixing with the locals change your descendance's skin colour, like the spaniards did in mexico.

You're an idiot.  Plus she had Iranian blood besides Macedonian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Exhibit A:

Razgovory

Ugh.  It's like a walking malignant tumor.

Ideologue

Yes, we do.

And Macedonians are a Mediterranean people anyway.  If anything, I would expect they were probably a shade darker, all things--like insolation--being equal, than the present-day inhabitants of the region, as the snow-white populations from the Black Sea and Volga steppe hadn't arrived yet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)