Started by Threviel, February 23, 2012, 03:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Sahib on February 23, 2012, 04:07:07 PM
Quote from: Drakken on February 23, 2012, 12:34:04 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on February 23, 2012, 12:30:55 PM
That's what I meant. Even if the Lagids were all fatasses, clearly they did something right with Cleo. ;)

All accounts of the time, and her face on the coins, point that she wasn't specially physically attractive either. She had the Lagid protruding eyes and thick neck as well. ;)

Modern reconstruction:

Cleopatra was ... a Jewish American Princess?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martim Silva

This bust of Cleopatra, currently in the Altes Museum in Berlin, was made during her lifetime and presented to her, so it's a safe bet to assume it's a quasi-pic (it also used to be painted, like all ancient statues/busts):

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2012, 05:01:31 PM
What's with nero's neck beard

Nero used a beard to hide as best as possible the fact that his body had a nasty skin disease that made it spotted. It also made him smell bad, regardless of how many baths he took. But his head was undamaged, and he tried to focus people's attentions to it.

Ideologue

Inbreeding is worse than I thought.  She had no pupils. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:20:04 PM
People always look like shit on ancient coins.

She was also supposed to have a beautiful voice iirc.

Ask grumbler about it.

Fireblade

Estelle is a stupid name for royalty.

Threviel

Quote from: Fireblade on February 24, 2012, 09:14:42 AM
Estelle is a stupid name for royalty.

And Mary for that sake, the english form of Maria, not a swedish name at all.

So the consensus of the thread seems to be that no one know of any case of Downs or Cerebral Palsy or the like among old royalty.

Fireblade

For that matter, why does Sweden even bother having a monarchy these days? It's too polluted with common blood.  :yuk:

I mean, damn, it's already bad enough some French peasant is on the throne, now you've got the offspring of a personal trainer, of all things, set to inherit the crown.

Fireblade

Drakken

Quote from: Fireblade on February 24, 2012, 10:59:41 AM
For that matter, why does Sweden even bother having a monarchy these days? It's too polluted with common blood.  :yuk:

I mean, damn, it's already bad enough some French peasant is on the throne, now you've got the offspring of a personal trainer, of all things, set to inherit the crown.

Because having retired politician as presidents in Sweden would be a worse lot, and the King of Sweden has been so thoroughly castrated of his residual powers in 1974 that there's no reason to remove him. Besides, that French peasant was Maréchal d'Empire and one of the few generals Napoleon, by then, was scared of.

That said, that guy doesn't look like a gym trainer at all, more like a computer geek to me.

Threviel

Ideologue

I understood "Swedish Kingdom" and "therefore."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Fireblade on February 24, 2012, 10:59:41 AM

FB, you forgot to sign in as Lettow.
Kinemalogue

Fireblade

Quote from: Threviel on February 24, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
The fuck! How do you know what that says?

Jag är från Skåne, ditt jävla pucko.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 04:39:45 PM
I understood "Swedish Kingdom" and "therefore."

I imagine Fabrikdirektor means something like factory boss.  The "Chips" part might refer to microchips.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017