Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 12:49:10 PM
don't worry. only raz deserves the raz treatment. one's own medicine, etc. etc.

You should really lay off him for a while...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 01:26:42 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 12:49:10 PM
don't worry. only raz deserves the raz treatment. one's own medicine, etc. etc.

You should really lay off him for a while...

I don't even see him anymore.  So let him rant and rave.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Holy shit!!! I can't believe LaCroix wrote what he did in that post right after Raz'!  That's the most amazing thing I've read on Languish.

:o

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

Depends on why I think they are using it - does the swastika have any use OTHER THAN as a representation of the Nazi's? I don't know of one myself, so I would in fact assume that someone using a swastika, no matter what color, is an attempt to associate themselves to the Nazis. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise though, but it would be a tough sell.

Obviously the letters S do in fact have some use beyond them standing for Schutszstaffel. So I am not going to assume that their use is necessarily intended to create an association.

Yes of course.  The Swastika does and has uses other then Nazis.  In fact, the Nazis borrowed it from elsewhere.  They didn't come up with it.  Romans and Greeks both used it.  It's still used in India as symbol of Jainism.  The widespread use of the symbol was seen as proof of one master race that ruled the Earth before the Nazis came to power.  Which is why the Nazis adopted it.

Yeah, I don't understand why Berkut created this easy trap for himself.

Because it isn't a trap at all, in fact it proves exactly my point.

If I saw some Marines using a swastika, I would be quite certain they were doing so because a swastika cannot have any other context than Nazis for them. I rather specifically stated that if someone else were using one, I could be convinced that they were doing so in some other context. Hence the *context* of the use and who is using it and for what is what determines whether or not I would feel offended by their use of it.

Rather than this demand that in this case, no matter what the context, we MUST be offended.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I still think it looks more like the KISS font than the SS font.  But hey.

Maybe the morons should've used Twister Sister's font instead.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:10:46 PM

If I saw some Marines using a swastika, I would be quite certain they were doing so because a swastika cannot have any other context than Nazis for them. I rather specifically stated that if someone else were using one, I could be convinced that they were doing so in some other context. Hence the *context* of the use and who is using it and for what is what determines whether or not I would feel offended by their use of it.

Rather than this demand that in this case, no matter what the context, we MUST be offended.

Wait, what?  It proves your point because you didn't know something?

Martinus

Depends on why I think they are using it - does the swastika have any use OTHER THAN as a representation of the Nazi's? I don't know of one myself, so I would in fact assume that someone using a swastika, no matter what color, is an attempt to associate themselves to the Nazis. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise though, but it would be a tough sell.

Obviously the letters S do in fact have some use beyond them standing for Schutszstaffel. So I am not going to assume that their use is necessarily intended to create an association.

Yes of course.  The Swastika does and has uses other then Nazis.  In fact, the Nazis borrowed it from elsewhere.  They didn't come up with it.  Romans and Greeks both used it.  It's still used in India as symbol of Jainism.  The widespread use of the symbol was seen as proof of one master race that ruled the Earth before the Nazis came to power.  Which is why the Nazis adopted it.

How so? A swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol of the sun.

And a "nazi salute" is in fact an ancient Roman salute.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 02:15:45 PM

Wait, what?  It proves your point because you didn't know something?

Raz, just stop. I am not going to respond to your juvenile attacks, so just stop. I know you are going through some tough times, but the constant personal crap is getting tiresome.

0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:09:06 PM
I dont think anyone here said they used it to pay homage to the Waffen-SS.

Valmy did.
He did
I stand ereceted.

So what is your idea here?  Nobody would use the Fasces of the Italian Blackshirts (well besides Italian soccer fans) because they sucked.  They are using the symbol of the dudes who were badass for a reason: they want to look badass.  What else would it but a homage?

They chose it because it looks cool. That is all. Not homage to the SS
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 02:19:11 PM

How so? A swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol of the sun.

So?

So?

What is your point Marty?

A swastika might not mean "Yeah, Nazi's are cool!", at least in theory. Great - that proves MY point, although in the case of a swastika, it is a pretty hard sell to claim someone using it today is doing so with that intent.

Symbols can mean different things to different people. So if you want to be offended by someone's use of a symbol, doesn't it make sense to know what they mean by its use first? Should every black person assume that if someone is wearing a cross, they are threatening them with burning one in their front yard?

Are you arguing that the characters "SS" can only possibly mean "Schuttzstaffel" to these men? That they are basically lying when they say they stand for "Scout-Sniper" in the same fashion you would assume some skinhead with a swastika plastered on their arm might claim it doesn't have anything to do with Nazis?

Bringing up alternative meanings for symbols supports MY argument that this use is not worthy of your faux outrage, not your own.

0 rows returned

11B4V

QuoteI still think it looks more like the KISS font than the SS font.  But hey.

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Actual SS collar tabs

Same-same just dif color.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 02:19:11 PMHow so? A swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol of the sun.

excepting some little places in india, and the pdhs of the world, no, the swastika is not a hindu symbol, it is a symbol of nazism

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:09:06 PM
I dont think anyone here said they used it to pay homage to the Waffen-SS.

Valmy did.
He did
I stand ereceted.

So what is your idea here?  Nobody would use the Fasces of the Italian Blackshirts (well besides Italian soccer fans) because they sucked.  They are using the symbol of the dudes who were badass for a reason: they want to look badass.  What else would it but a homage?

They chose it because it looks cool. That is all. Not homage to the SS

I still don't understand why this seems so hard to believe.

I think they chose it for the exact same reason the SS chose it - because lightning bolt S's look cool.

0 rows returned