Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 03:34:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 03:05:18 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 02:56:32 PM
No, certaining not. My first reaction, *Chuckle* then, "This will go over like a turd in a punch bowl". But the reality remains that this gives off bad PR.

Yep.  This was my precise reaction.  Cannot do that dudes.

Then why have you been arguing with my contention that there is nothing there to get offended about, other than the stupidity of giving people who want to be offended an excuse to do so?

Dude, the person most wound up on this you.

Uhh no, my entire point is that this isn't really worth getting wound up about at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Never seen that three-pronged swastika that SS guy has on his lapels. Maybe he's not a real Nazi.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2012, 03:38:37 PM
Never seen that three-pronged swastika that SS guy has on his lapels. Maybe he's not a real Nazi.

Appropos of nothing, I was really surprised to learn that the Nazis did not invent that whole "wearing a skull as a military symbol of being a real bad-ass" thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totenkopf

The Nazis weren't cool after all. Copycats!  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2012, 03:43:12 PM

Appropos of nothing, I was really surprised to learn that the Nazis did not invent that whole "wearing a skull as a military symbol of being a real bad-ass" thing.

Nazi assholes ruined the deaths head for everybody else.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 03:44:04 PM

Once again, the Marines to the rescue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Reconnaissance_Battalions

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 03:44:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY

"Have you noticed that our caps have got skulls on them?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Well, to be fair, they were copying from their nation's proud and storied military past. Hitler was all pro-Germany after all.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 03:37:26 PM

Uhh no, my entire point is that this isn't really worth getting wound up about at all.

Well, you missed your own point then! :lol:  You are the one ranting and raving.

This has been mostly a case of "Who do you believe, your lying eyes or honest Berkut?".  When most of us look at the damn thing, it looks like a pair of Sieg Runes as used by the SS.  You are treating it as some sort of attack on the military by some coalition of Marty and the "emotards".  I don't know why these guys put them there.  Maybe they'll tell us in the future.  My guess is that's the same reason the people like Sid Vicious wore a T Shirt with a Swastika on it:  To look hardcore.  Militaries everywhere have done that.  Taboo symbols, symbols of death, things like that.  Why?  To give the message of "Don't fuck with us".  Even if the enemy doesn't recognize it (see the ace of spades in Vietnam).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

He is from the SS-Langemarck Division which started as the SS Volunteer Verband Flandern then 6th SS Volunteer Sturmbrigade Langemarck. Made up at least initially of flemish voluteers.

So, yes the meathead in the pic is SS. That collar device is the symbol of the 27th SS Langemarck Division.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

From that same wiki article Malthus linked to:

United States Marine Corps Reconnaissance Battalions use the skull and crossbones symbol in their emblem.

Nazis. :mad:

Civis Romanus Sum

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2012, 03:55:42 PM

United States Marine Corps Reconnaissance Battalions use the skull and crossbones symbol in their emblem.

VFA-103 too.   :mad:

Malthus

You've been ninja'd: see #184.  ;)

Ed Anger

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2012, 03:57:45 PM

You've been ninja'd: see #184.  ;)

Right. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum