Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:09:06 PM
I dont think anyone here said they used it to pay homage to the Waffen-SS.

Valmy did.
He did
I stand ereceted.

So what is your idea here?  Nobody would use the Fasces of the Italian Blackshirts (well besides Italian soccer fans) because they sucked.  They are using the symbol of the dudes who were badass for a reason: they want to look badass.  What else would it but a homage?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

They may have chosen the symbols for the same reason the SS did rather than because the SS did.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:26:58 PM
They may have chosen the symbols for the same reason the SS did rather than because the SS did.

:lol:

Yeah right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:32:16 PM
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  :sleep:

I do as well.  I see where they are coming from.  I mean they are out in the field committing acts of violence and putting their lives in danger.  One of the way you deal with that is doing hardcore stuff that desensitizes people, which is why military people famously do stuff like curse alot.

But, you know, you have to keep this stuff from getting out.

LaCroix

my, this thread exploded while i went out and sold myself

Quote from: ValmyI do not think anybody is claiming they literally have Nazi sympathies.
i know

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:48:08 AMI think the truth you just defined is not in the middle - it is exactly my position.
sorry, i was under the impression you were saying they coincidentally happened to pick the same symbol as the one used by the nazis, and that they might not have known its past host

Quote from: RazgovoryFallacy of Middle Ground.

err, your lack of comprehension has reared its ugly head. again. fallacy of middle ground demands that i imply that of two stances, the middle ground between them must be correct.. which i did not do. i stated my assumption of what transpired, and noted that it fell between what i perceived to be berkut and Everyone Else's differing thoughts. you are trying too hard; you should have displayed as much diligence two nights ago

Quote from: Peter WigginValmy did.
i thought so too.. however, now i'm not so sure if he meant homage when he said it. he misunderstood my point either way (see above)

Quote from: GarbonYeah, I don't understand why Berkut created this easy trap for himself.
he didn't create a trap for himself. raz and you aren't getting at what he's saying. obviously he knows about the swastika's literal history, but what he is saying is that it doesn't look like anything. it couldn't be used in a way, like the SS lightning bolts, that could mean something else. the SS lightning bolts look like the letter S. when placed side by side, they could mean scout-sniper

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:32:16 PM
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  :sleep:

:lol:

+1

sorry, valmy, you did mean homage after all, i guess

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 12:47:10 PM
You are much more likable as lurker who doesn't post.

don't worry. only raz deserves the raz treatment. one's own medicine, etc. etc.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 12:49:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 12:47:10 PM
You are much more likable as lurker who doesn't post.

don't worry. only raz deserves the raz treatment. one's own medicine, etc. etc.

Yeah, you still are a more likable person as someone who isn't here.  What compels you lurk and then wade into defend stupid arguments or people?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

LaCroix

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
sorry, valmy, you did mean homage after all, i guess

Whenever I am able to communicate effectively I take it as a victory :P

Razgovory

That's much better.  Due to advances in Forum technology the best aspect of LaCroix's personality can be enjoyed with out the negative.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 01:02:40 PM
That's much better.  Due to advances in Forum technology the best aspect of LaCroix's personality can be enjoyed with out the negative.

at least now i won't have to deal with posts like "Fallacy of Middle Ground." baku has been seized  :)