And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
I hope this works out.

I really want to read about Ide's adventurers in Korea (or China or Japan).

I hope he doesn't bring up his obsession with bombers.  That probably won't go over well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

My school badly needs teachers. So if you want to go to Shanghai, PM me.
After all, aren't you over Korea?  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2012, 06:49:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 03:37:10 PM
Whoa, cool.

Include law degree: yes/no?

I'm thinking it would be better to do so since: 1)Asians don't know; and 2)there's a gaping hole in my life otherwise.
Sure, I was told you'd need a TESL certificate, but I know that's not true. Still doesn't hurt to have more random qualifications. Does a Law degree count as a Master? You get more money for that.

That jerk Barrister Boy says no.  The federal government and the fact you need a preexisting bachelor's degree to get it say yes.

QuoteAlso, 100hr TESL cost like $200 bucks, can be marathoned in a weekend and will get you an extra $100 per month.

If they have questions just tell them you found out you hated practicing law, every country hates lawyers so they'll understand. I'll PM you my email address

"I want to see the world before I begin my real career."

Quote from: JacobI hope this works out.

I really want to read about Ide's adventurers in Korea (or China or Japan).

Man, you know me.  It's just going to be same shit, different place.  "Why don't girls like me?"  "Why am I unhappy?"  "Higher education is a scam."  "Map sucks."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 10:24:50 PM

"I want to see the world before I begin my real career."

That doesn't sound very flattering of the position you're trying to get.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I thought all these gigs were temporary-oriented (a couple to four years, like that)?  Perhaps I do not understand the position.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 11:01:25 PM
I thought all these gigs were temporary-oriented (a couple to four years, like that)?  Perhaps I do not understand the position.
Yeah, but they don't want people on vacation. They want you to at least be looking for a job, not using it as vehicle for tourism or party.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 11:01:25 PM

Ide, a lesson you have to learn if you want any job other than the very bottom rung: you have to present as if you're super committed to the job you're applying for. Self-deprecating comments (except in the mildest forms) and direct acknowledgement of "unspoken realities" (and you usually get the "unspoken realities" shit wrong anyways, if your posting here is any indication) are pretty much self-destruct buttons. This is basic shit. "I want this job because it's an interesting thing to do until I get to do what I really like" will pretty much never get you a job except menial labour and seasonal jobs in the tourism industry.

Razgovory

Could you tell me what the "unspoken realities" are?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 10:24:50 PMMan, you know me.  It's just going to be same shit, different place.  "Why don't girls like me?"  "Why am I unhappy?"  "Higher education is a scam."  "Map sucks."

Nah. I think you're being a chickenshit, comfortable in your own misery and self pity. Where you've been? South Carolina? A couple of other states? Do you even have a passport?

You have no idea what it's going to be like in Korea. When you say "same shit, different place" it's so you can tell yourself that it doesn't matter when you fuck up applying to this thing that's practically being handed to you on a silver platter. You have two people on the inside offering to basically give you jobs where they're working. They're already there and can answer pretty much all the questions you might have.

Just fucking apply. Do what you need to do in the right order and in time (and both HMB and Timmy can hold your hand while you do it). You can always chose to not go once you have an offer in hand; that feels way better than to justify to yourself that you weren't really interested or that the man is keeping you down after you fuck it up due to inaction after the fact.

Don't be a pussy. Apply. Also, while you're down on yourself right now, I know losers orders of magnitude bigger than you suggest you are here on languish who got girlfriends while doing the ESL teacher thing in Asia. [Timmy has recently risen in my estimation, otherwise I would've put "hell, even Timmy has gotten dates in Korea" without a disclaimer, but now I'll admit I don't really mean it.]

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2012, 11:40:37 PM

In this case, any of Ide's ideologically driven analyses of the relationship between employers and employees; even if they're correct. Things that imply "I know you don't give a fuck about me and will lay me off if it's the slightest bit convenient for you" or "we both know that you need the intelligence of a trained rat to do this job". That sort of stuff.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2012, 11:52:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2012, 11:40:37 PM

In this case, any of Ide's ideologically driven analysis of the relationship between employers and employees; even if they're correct. Things that imply "I know you don't give a fuck about me and will lay me off if it's the slightest bit convenient for you" or "we both know that you need the intelligence of a trained rat to do this job". That sort of stuff.
Unless there's a health problem that makes him physically impossible to get to work or he commits some kind of crime this won't happen even if he's an awful teacher and they hate him. Firing someone and then hiring someone new is a huge pain in the ass for the folks in charge here. They'd rather suffer for a year and just not reup the contract.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2012, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 10:24:50 PMMan, you know me.  It's just going to be same shit, different place.  "Why don't girls like me?"  "Why am I unhappy?"  "Higher education is a scam."  "Map sucks."

Nah. I think you're being a chickenshit, comfortable in your own misery and self pity. Where you've been? South Carolina? A couple of other states? Do you even have a passport?

Snipped ALL THE OTHER MEAN STUFF

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Sorry, I think you got the wrong idea.

I'm just trying not to get my hopes up about it being some sort of salvation, where I suddenly become some kind of superhumanly happy person.  I do not get my hopes up that high about anything, anymore.  That's what I've did and it doesn't work.  It's also called growing up.

And obviously, obviously, obviously Tim is the shit.  HMBob is also a very nice man.

And Jakob Danesperson is usually nice too, but I think he's tired of my pity party.  Noted. -_-
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

But on the subject of passports, that was actually a question I wanted to ask: passports take time--even if I went to the Passport Store tomorrow, it would be a while.

Also I wonder if this would interfere with my taking the State X bar in July. I'm just curious.
Kinemalogue

Habbaku

My passport took 3 weeks. At most, it'll take 2 months.  :mellow:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien