And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2012, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 11:23:37 PM
In ten years, Monoriu's going to come to America to teach Cantonese as a Second Language.

He would never teach uncivilized people his tongue.  :mad:

Mono doesn't understand why any American would want to speak Cantonese.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2012, 11:31:44 PM
In ten years, Monoriu's going to come to America to teach Cantonese as a Second Language.

Do you have to understand something to take advantage of it financially?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2012, 11:33:10 PM

If Wall Street is any indication, no.  Still, you don't get rich teaching.  Of course you don't get rich as a civil servant either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2012, 11:33:10 PM

Law school joke.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Its just dawning on me that this doesn't just mean Ide in Korea but Ide and Tim in the same town, hanging out together and all that.
I'm imagining it to be quite an odd couple situation.

Also, even if this doesn't work out, in Japan at least and presumably elsewhere in asia its really easy to get an English teaching job (not necessarily an awesome one but certainly better than kitchen bitch and its in a new and interesting place) as a white foreigner just by being here.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 15, 2012, 11:28:00 PM

Doesn't Cantonese have even more tones than Mandarin?  :yuk:
I'd rather force everyone in China to learn Korean, and then have people teach that abroad.
It's easier, and K-Pop = :mmm:

Yes.  Cantonese has 6 tones I believe.  Mandarin, 4.  In general, Cantonese is even more difficult to learn than Mandarin.  It is important to note that even if you know Mandarin, the process of learning Cantonese is difficult.  Not only are the pronounciations totally different (they are not mutually intelligible), but the words, grammar, sentence structure, usage etc are all different.  Some say the difference between Cantonese (a dialect) and Mandarin is much larger than the difference between Portugese and Spanish. 

Ideologue

Making people's food is noble work.  People gotta eat.  It's just not remunerative, and I think it's really fucking with my body (my back muscles felt like snakes crawling under my skin today, tingly and twitchy, very unpleasant; and my arm joints hurt; on the plus side, it is exercise).

Tim and I aren't that different, really.  We like the same sort of things, I just like slightly cooler stuff and I'm lower-profile about it.  We both had unhappy childhoods.  We're both Hispanic.  We do vote differently, but we're both low key, not too in-your-face about it, unlike some people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2012, 11:43:50 PM
Its just dawning on me that this doesn't just mean Ide in Korea but Ide and Tim in the same town, hanging out together and all that.

Also, even if this doesn't work out, in Japan at least and presumably elsewhere in asia its really easy to get an English teaching job (not necessarily an awesome one but certainly better than kitchen bitch and its in a new and interesting place) as a white foreigner just by being here.
It'd be cool, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna balk at the 6-8 week time frame on the FBI check.

Still like I said, doing all the stuff I laid out will get him a job in Korea for sure.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2012, 11:53:02 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2012, 11:43:50 PM

It'd be cool, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna balk at the 6-8 week time frame on the FBI check.

Still like I said, doing all the stuff I laid out will get him a job in Korea for sure.

Ah.  Well, that'd be okay.  I could take the State X bar in the meantime (or even, miraculously, get a civil servant job).

On the other hand, you know, I could have my license lapse because of inability to do CLE.  Then again, it's not like I'm taking GA or VA to actually work there, specifically.  I'll have to look into that, maybe call their bar ass'ns.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

OH SHIT!

Tim, are any of these companies that do ESL non-profits?

Oh man oh man oh man PSLF...
Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2012, 10:25:48 PMI have no preconceptions, really, except the parents are mean and push their kids too hard, and they like Starcraft.

I'm still looking forward to reading about your adventures :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 12:18:46 AM
OH SHIT!

Why does that matter?

Ideologue

They may fall under Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and time served may be creditable toward having my loans forgiven.  I doubt it.  But it's a question worth keeping in mind.

I'm unsure if non-profits need be organized in America, or if an uninterrupted span at one place is required, or what, though... the original plan of spending ten years on the government dime didn't raise those issues, as PSLF was assured.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 12:18:46 AM
OH SHIT!

Public schools aren't in it for the profit, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Are you legally an employee of the school, or are you an employee of a service?

If you are an employee of the school, it actually might.  It absolutely would if it were an American school.  (You see that use of the subjunctive?  I'm bad-ass.)

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet a dollar that PSLF is not available for non-American non-profits and non-American government service.  It wouldn't make much sense for it too.  But if it's a teacher placement service, and they're an American-organized non-profit...

OK, so I'm ignorant of the organization of your industry.  Sue me. :(
Kinemalogue