News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Killed people.  Degraded morale.  Destroyed their major port facilities.

Quote from: NeilAirpower didn't defeat Japan, the USN defeated Japan

Conceding for argument's sake this is true, the USN defeated Japan with..? :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 10:26:16 PM
And how would that have helped win the war in Vietnam?  Would that have prevented the antiwar movement from agitating surrender?
Every weapon at their disposal, including dreadnought battleships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2012, 10:23:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2012, 08:03:38 PM
I just think it's weird that someone would assume that, just because someone is 'smart', that automatically means they are also good at conveying their knowledge to others.  Then again, there are plenty of professors at American universities who can't teach worth a damn either.

In my experience, the purpose of the foreign English teachers isn't to teach the kids grammar.  There are other local English teachers who will do that.  Their purposes are to

(1) serve as role models on how to speak real English without an accent (something the local teachers simply can't do)
(2) make the kids converse in English (they have no choice but to speak English to Tim and Ide) and
(3) make sure that the lessons aren't just about grammar (a lot of local English teachers suck at speaking English and they are reluctant to speak English themselves for fear of making a fool of themselves in front of their students)

Also IMO there's a big role to be had in making English a real, useful skill.
When I was learning French it was just some boring theoretical bollocks in a text book. Have a young, interesting foreigner around though and it becomes far more of an applicable real world skill.

Though teaching grammar certainly is an important point. I'm always getting questions from Japanese English teachers about little nuances of grammar. Several of them have trouble with the/an
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 10:24:00 PM
the heavy bombers could have significantly shortened the war by never being built.

How do you propose to deliver the nukes without heavy bombers?

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 10:24:00 PM
the heavy bombers could have significantly shortened the war by never being built.
How do you propose to deliver the nukes without heavy bombers?
Don't care.  Nuclear weapons have ruined everything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on February 16, 2012, 10:38:05 PM
Have a young, interesting foreigner around though and it becomes far more of an applicable real world skill.

Do they ever actually find any of those?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I liked the foreign teachers when I was in primary school.  Instead of the never-ending exams, tests and exercises, they just talked to us.  They came to class, and said today we would talk about the moon.  There were no marks to be deducted, no grades given, and no homework.  That's all they did.  We really enjoyed the opportunity to slack off  :bowler:

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2012, 07:57:36 PM
What I think of: Remo Williams    :lol:

Ironically, the racist Korean martial arts master in that movie is Joel Grey, who knows no martial arts and is actually Jewish, not asian. His daughter is Jennifer Grey from Ferris Bueller and Dirty Dancing.

What? The HOTT chick in Ferris Bueller is Mia Sara, who is also in Legend with Tom Cruise.
And she is jewish.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 11:18:27 PM

Ironically, the racist Korean martial arts master in that movie is Joel Grey, who knows no martial arts and is actually Jewish, not asian. His daughter is Jennifer Grey from Ferris Bueller and Dirty Dancing.

What? The HOTT chick in Ferris Bueller is Mia Sara, who is also in Legend with Tom Cruise.
And she is jewish.

Jennifer Grey was Bueller's sister.

Siege

Korea?
I think of Yi, that girl band, and fat asian chicks.
Of course, Samsung and Hyundai are the first things that come to mind.
Then Yi.
No offense bro.

Siege

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2012, 11:26:47 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 11:18:27 PM

And she is jewish.

Jennifer Grey was Bueller's sister.

Oh. I haven't seen that movie in a while.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2012, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 10:26:16 PM
And how would that have helped win the war in Vietnam?  Would that have prevented the antiwar movement from agitating surrender?
Every weapon at their disposal, including dreadnought battleships.

We have fun, don't we? :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2012, 11:15:45 PM
I liked the foreign teachers when I was in primary school.  Instead of the never-ending exams, tests and exercises, they just talked to us.  They came to class, and said today we would talk about the moon.  There were no marks to be deducted, no grades given, and no homework.  That's all they did.  We really enjoyed the opportunity to slack off  :bowler:

Training the scribes of the People's Republic of China: a new scandal envelopes Newt Gingrich.
Kinemalogue

Zoupa

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2012, 10:15:07 PM
I'm not sure it's possible, dude.  I'll look into it.

I'll fucking buy you the damn ticket dude. You can pay me back later.

Like it or not, this is happening.  :ph34r: